Monday, October 30, 2017

Autumnal Sunshine


I cannot endure to waste anything so precious as autumnal sunshine by staying in the house.
~Nathaniel Hawthorne

I have another mishmash of images for you - some which date back a few weeks - some which are more current.

morning breaks
One early October morning, the day broke in cloudy hues.




morning breaks - 3 mins later
A moment later, a band of colour lit the underside of the clouds and danced in colours that only nature can imagine.





sparrow ready for takeoff
A couple of months back, I was having lunch at an outdoor table in the colourful town of Warkworth. I was watching this little bird considering its takeoff.





sparrow take off eh
And then it did. I like how it appears as if the bird is in position to embark on a small roller coaster ride on the string of eight lights in the window.





cutie on a swing
Also in flight, was this little sweetheart. She and I chatted for a long time while we each sat swinging. She educated me about the complete storyline of some TV show or movie and she even stopped swinging every now and then to draw the characters in the dirt. She insisted that it's all a true story because her MUCH older brother (he's 6) said it was and he always knows. It was a lovely chat.





inverted umbrella2
A different little girl dropped her umbrella one windy, rainy day and left it to collect a puddle on the inside. This was photographed from my apartment window.





wavy clouds
On another rainy day, these clouds seemed to be almost undulating in the sky. It reminded me a little of Van Gogh's kind of sky.





under the rainbow
Rainbows - that ever hopeful transition between rain and sunshine.





wooded area jackson creek
Autumn along the sunlit woodsy trails of Jackson Park.





true colours jackson creek
The vibrant colour of algae when the sunlight hits it just right.





fronds
Aging cedar fronds enjoying the sun's soothing ministrations.





into the trees Jackson creek
A small boardwalk over a stream and between the trees.





colourful carrots
Also sun-kissed are some end of season colourful carrots from the Farmers' Market.




Love art 2
And another colourful display expressing our support of diversity. Sidewalks all over Peterborough were expressing inclusion and support during the Love Lives Here movement late in September.





Love art
Gotta love the positive spirit of Peterborough. Note the "Love Wins Over Hate" sign partway up the alley wall.





setting sun copy
This photo goes way back to mid July. The boats are all gone from the harbour now.

Summer stayed late but now she is done. Autumn is breezing through town in a hurry. It won't be long until the season changes once again. Hopefully, it will continue to offer something new to photograph.

Thanks for indulging me, once again.

36 comments:

DJan said...

Indulging you? I am always blessed when you show up in my news feed. Your pictures evoke delight in my soul, every time, every one. Thank you. :-)

ellen abbott said...

always enjoy your posts and your eye.

Marie Smith said...

Such beauty through the last number of months. The wee girl sounds adorable.

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

The picture of the little girl on the swing is excellent, and I love the story of your conversation with her. The foot bridge in the woods is a beautiful scene, too.

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Oh I have missed seeing your wonderful photos and reading your words of life. I adore the photo of the little girl swinging but most especially the sharing of the conversation you had with her. Much love, Oma Linda

Cloudia said...

Your heartful eye touches me. The sparrow was a masterful duo of shots - they all are wonderful really, as are your simple companionable words freighted with warmth and wisdom.
"Aging cedar fronds enjoying the sun's soothing ministrations."

Just So!

joeh said...

How long did you wait tot get the roller coaster bird pic?

Very cool.

Out on the prairie said...

Like thelittle girl swinging

Karen said...

I love your posts! I'm missing my old home town so much...you let me see it in a much softer light than my minds eye.

Andy said...

Hilary... another fine collection of photos.

Theresa said...

Thank YOU for indulging us with your beautiful photographic artistry.

Rita said...

Lovely! Those morning sky photos are marvelous and I loved each of the others. I always enjoy seeing that you have a new post I can wander through! :)

stephen Hayes said...

Wonderful, especially those first two pictures.

William Kendall said...

Those morning skies are a cheerful sight!

messymimi said...

Your town, the people, plants, places, animals, all are so refreshing every time you post!

Red said...

Lots of good color and light in this post. Clouds are a favorite of mine.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Cute pictures. I like how the little girl educated you with her childish wisdom. They do have so much to share at that age.I smiled as I read that.

The Furry Gnome said...

Some very nice images there!

waldlaeufer68 Frank Scholtyssek said...

Hello,
very nice autumn photo, with the suns it is a great season with many photo opportunities, great series
Greetings Frank

Linda said...

Great shots! I love the Hawthorne quote.

Tabor said...

Good to see you back and posting and adding such lovely crisp photos!! That bird may have been eyeing what you were eating?

Anvilcloud said...

Gotta love the diversity motif ... and the varied sizes, shapes and colours of the carrots.

Shammickite said...

Lovely shots of autumnal sunshine, and even a little bit of leftover summer. I really like those multicolour heritage carrots, I wonder if they all have the same taste. Definitely colder here today although the sun is shining nicely. I never made it to Peterborough this summer.... and I really wanted to but life got in the way. You know how that happens.

Birdie said...

The little girl on the swing is so beautiful in its sweetness. I bet her parents would love it.


Unknown said...

Ah, more lovely photos! The sparrow in flight is quite amazing, it's incredible the way you capture these everyday moments in a way that makes them so profound. Thanks!

Suldog said...

So hard to choose favorites from among your shots, but I do love the capture of the bird taking off. The wooden bridge makes me want to cross it. And I would have looked at those carrots and assumed the pale ones were parsnips; that's how little I know about carrots. I learned all I know from Bugs Bunny cartoons and I always assumed they were always orange. Who knew?

Well, you, I guess :-)

Daryl said...

those carrots look like crayons for giants ... love all the images ...

Jenn Jilks said...

Wonderful photos! The bird is amazing!!!! I can never focus fast enough!!!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Thank you for sharing a bit of your autumn days, Hilary. I especially love the little girl on the swing, the bright splash of color of that umbrella, the dusky harbour filled with boats, and the exquisite light on the cedar fronds.
It snowed here on Sunday (and even more so where I was over the weekend -- about 15cm there). I'm afraid autumn may have come and gone already.

Anonymous said...

Hillary, you have such a talent for photography and are so generous to share it. You are a blessing i many lives, I'm sure.

Sandi said...

Grear captures, especially the bird and the swing!

Barb said...

Hi Hilary, I always like seeing what you capture through your lens. Those cedar fronds soaking the light are wonderful. Also that boardwalk bridge and the landscape surrounding it could have been shot near my house! Good to see your part of the world again. Enjoy what remains of your fall. Ours in the mts of CO is gone, and winter is trying to establish residency!

Unknown said...

How cool to stop by here fro Facebook and see this wonderful site thriving with so many great captures!

yaya said...

Your photos are always uplifting! I love the bird shot..such a good catch and the area you live in is so lovely. However, I'm betting if everyone had your eye for photo moments every place would appear lovely! Summer temps have left us and rain and typical Fall is here. It's our Thanksgiving in another week and that truly makes it closer to Winter and of course Christmas. Have a great week!

Linda said...

Lovely as always. It is hard to pick a favorite, but I really like the bird in flight and the bridge over the stream. That looks like a picture for October on a calendar.

Wendy said...

How are ya Hilary? Summer's long gone, but when did it leave? Autumn is breezing though the town and country (love your expressions) and winter is upon us. Cold here, but only a sprinkling of snow.

Loved your post as usual. Hard to choose a fav, but that little girl captured my heart.
Hugs,