Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Company of Trees

If you would know strength and patience, welcome the company of trees. 
~Hal Borland


I ended my last post with a photo of a tree. That's as good a segue as any to present you with some more images of these majestic beings in whole or in part.


tree perspective2
A tree is an incomprehensible mystery. ~ Jim Woodring
I tricked myself with this image. When I first viewed it after uploading, I could not remember snapping the shot. I thought by the background, that it was situated along the lakeshore (Lake Ontario) on an overcast day. I did not recall having been there recently.






tree perspective
On pavements and the bark of trees I have found whole worlds. ~Mark Tobey
On second glance, or rather, upon seeing this photo, I realized that the tree was much closer to home. It sits on the boulevard just in front of my neighbour's home. I was enjoying how the sun cast its glow upon the bark.






not dead yet
A stricken tree, a living thing, so beautiful, so dignified, so admirable in its potential longevity, is, next to man, perhaps the most touching of wounded objects. ~Edna Ferber
This one illustrated the indomitable spirit and strength of nature. I'll spare you the view of the rest of this maple tree. The parks people determined that in its half dead state, it was a good idea to remove its limbs lest they fall upon folks enjoying a walk on the nearby path. There's a large orange X on the side of its bark, presumably to mark it as a victim of the next round of felling. I hope they've done all they have wanted to do and will leave the trunk intact. This tree plays host to insects, birds and squirrels and it's one of the spots where I occasionally leave peanuts in winter. Despite the extreme cutting, this "dead" tree still spouted a new sprig of leaves this spring. Gotta love that.





tree row
Except during the nine months before he draws his first breath, no man manages his affairs as well as a tree does. ~George Bernard Shaw
These trees line the lovely property which belongs to one of Frank's brothers. We were there at the end of May for a family celebration.





morning sun tree
For in the true nature of things, if we rightly consider, every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold and silver. ~Martin Luther
Red maple keys glowing in the hazy sunshine of early morning.





colourful keys
Life without love is like a tree without blossoms or fruit. ~Khalil Gibran
Here's a closer look at them. They could almost be flowers.




sunlight through leaves
All things share the same breath - the beast, the tree, the man... the air shares its spirit with all the life it supports. ~Chief Seattle
Late day sunshine, glittering through the maple leaves.





bvillian sunset2
I think that I shall never see a billboard lovely as a tree. 
Perhaps, unless the billboards fall, I'll never see a tree at all. ~Ogden Nash
A lovely sunset seen high above the tree tops.




night tree2
I looked up my family tree and found out I was the sap. ~Rodney Dangerfield
This beauty stands near the pond in my park. Behind it is a busy parkway but it appears so peaceful in the quiet of the night.

 Thanks for joining me. There'll be more to see in a few days.

52 comments:

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

"There is unrest in the forest, there is trouble with the trees, for the maples want more sunlight and the oaks ignore their pleas."

Rita said...

Lovely, lovely photographs! Our majestic wooden brothers!! :):)

stephen Hayes said...

The picture of the tree that was mostly chopped down is really interesting because it forces you to imagine what the tree originally looked like.

♥AMBre said...

Beauty !
Thank you

Nadezda said...

Wow! great shots! I love one, the early morning light and the red maples.

Sueann said...

Wonderful photos!! Definitely captures the majesty of trees!
Hugs
SueAnn

Brian Miller said...

ah love the glow of that one in the hazy sun....

Shammickite said...

I love to sit in the shade of a tree on a hot summer day. Unfortunately, where I live the trees are all quite little.... but they'll grow!

Kat said...

Beautiful. I love trees. The first thing I thought about your first picture was "wisdom". Isn't that strange for a tree? But still, it just looks like wisdom. :)

Ruth Hiebert said...

WOnderful images here. I love the beauty of trees and yes those seeds may as well be called flowers.You have once agin captured nature's beauty at it's best.

Leah J. Utas said...

Trees are so dignified. You've captured them well.

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

Ya gotta love the Ogden Nash quote. :)

Those pesky maple keys are pretty...at least, in your photos...but they're not on our favorite-things list. They're a nuisance when they fall.

Anvilcloud said...

Your third photo reminds me of our cutdown maples that keep sending out new shoots year after year. It's quite a pain really.

Gail Dixon said...

I've loved trees since I was a young girl, devouring books under their protective branches. My favorite is the live oak here in Louisiana. Their character is amazing and comforting. Love your images. You've captured their grace so well.

abb said...

We had to have a tree removed as it was constantly clogging our septic tank with its roots. I had to leave home. I couldn't bear to watch it come down. From my header it's obvious that I'm a fellow tree-hugger/lover.

Beautiful photos as always, Miss H.

TexWisGirl said...

always enjoy all of your photos. trees have such a spiritual connection to me. :)

Gillian Olson said...

Beautiful pictures and inspiring quotes.

messymimi said...

You make me feel like i've just taken a walk in the woods.

Frank Baron said...

As you know, the "Standing People" are among my favourite living beings. It's good to see you honour them. :)

Reb said...

Lovely trees Hilary. As always you have found great quotes to go along with your photos.

L. D. said...

You have captured a wonderful album of tree photos. Your color and composition along with your creative makes them very special shots.

Elizabeth Grimes said...

I always enjoy how thoughtfully you pair your photos with quotes. What a nice, peaceful, pretty post. :)

Laura~Pretty Pix said...

You've captured the spirit of these trees. Wonderful!

Barb said...

Trees have such individual character. The shot of hazy early morning is my favorite but the last night shot Is also magical. You manage light to such fine advantage in your photos Hilary. You make me want to get up earlier or linger later!

Tabor said...

I have always loved trees and your post and terrific photos make me love them more and see them in a new light.

Red said...

You've really covered a lot of territory in this post with trees and all the interesting types of shots you took.

holdingmoments said...

Lovely post Hilary.
I hope the Maple is left alone now to fight back.

Bob Bushell said...

Beautiful images, I love trees, in fact, I could go and cuddle them.

Daryl said...

love trees .. love all of these ..

Dan said...

I'm a tree admirer too.

The early morning light and maple is glorious. I wonder what tales it could tell...

Anonymous said...

Those glowing tree shots are so beautiful! Just gorgeous.

Lisa Gordon said...

What a beautiful sereis this is, Hilary!
I especially love the red maple. such gorgeous light and color.

Zuzana said...

Oh, this post speaks to me dear Hilary...
I LOVE trees. Any kind, anywhere. I have dedicated numerous post to these silent sentinels, standing in my views, always the same, yet always changing. They bring peace to my mind, when I am anxious or upset...
Your beautiful images remind me of a sequoia tree I hugged last year - which turned me into a true tree huger, as I felt the power.;)
Have a great week dear friend,
xoxo

Barbara said...

I love that one branch shooting out of the trunk. One of our trees we thought had died from the drought has dozens of little sprouts coming out of the trunk. It made me so happy!! I wish I was that tough!

NitWit1 said...

Backlit leaves capture my attention every time. Great collection.

Rob-bear said...

Beautiful collection, from close-upto back-lit.

And they are very persistent creatures.

Lynne with an e said...

I particularly love that golden song sung here in the key of maple.

Unknown said...

There is so much life here, Hilary. And many surprises as you look at the film. Always a pleasure to stop here. :)

Gunnar Hustad said...

Hey! I like this blog, I will keep on following you :)

SandyCarlson said...

These tree photos are spectacular. I too enjoy the way the sun illuminates trees in part or whole and thus showcases the drama of time in one place.

SandyCarlson said...

These tree photos are spectacular. I too enjoy the way the sun illuminates trees in part or whole and thus showcases the drama of time in one place.

Crabby McSlacker said...

Ah great photos! (And love Ogden Nash.)

My fave for some reason is the off-kilter shot of the lined up trees, love the composition! But they're all grand.

Dianne said...

I have many tree friends around me and love them all
your photos do them proud

Mage said...

Just lovely stuff. I can't identify a one of them, but I can enjoy them all. I can identify my local trees, and most of them are dying of bugs and fungi. No one is happy about this as we rapidly retreat to desert.

Thanks so much for the note. I think of you of all people always having a camera in your hand.

Sandi McBride said...

I am a tree hugger from long back and loved these....thanks so much for sharing...still not able to ramble in the yard, but in six weeks I hope that I will be sharing my own trees with you...
hugs
Sandi

Sharon Wagner said...

Your ode to the tree has some amazing quotes. Trees do have determination, strengh and above all shade!

Kerry said...

Oh gosh. I am married to a forester and live in a temperate rain forest, so trees are absolutely one of my most favorite things. But they are difficult to photograph, and you have done an amazing job. I guess it's better to not try and capture the whole tree, but just parts of it at a time. Red seeds. golden leaves.

So beautiful. sigh.

Indrani said...

Beautiful pictures. I liked the quotes you chose.

Tammie Lee said...

so lovely a post honoring the beauty of trees... wonderful photographs and you find such wonderful quotes!

Hilary said...

Thanks very much, everyone. You never fail to make me smile with your kind comments. :) <--- See? ;)

Dave said...

Nice tree light and shadow pictures Hilary. I liked them - Dave

lime said...

boy did you pick a good ogden nash quite! it's how i feel about where i live!