Friday, December 23, 2016

Ways of Expression

Everyone has their own ways of expression. I believe we all have a lot to say, but finding ways to say it is more than half the battle.
~ Criss Jami

I'm tying in a bit of miscellany here. Some of this post is about creativity and some about nature. The photos are from September through November.

Back in September, Peterborough Artsweek was in full swing. That meant that we could take day tours of artists' studios all around the city and surrounding area. We could enjoy a guided nighttime tour to various downtown storefronts where local artists displayed their work. And we could wander around designated areas in town and hear live music. All for free.

On this day, I had been heading toward home from touring some of the studios with my friend, Susan when I got a text from my dear friend, Carol Anne suggesting that we wander around her part of town where Porchapalooza was taking place. This meant that everyone gathered on and around the front lawn of a designated home where they'd be entertained by various performers. As each set was done, the audience would move on to another porch, where chairs were set up for a different performance. Susan had things to do, so I was on my own.

porchapaloozaI was a bit late to the event but caught this one local artist - Evangeline Gentle. Her music was folksy, vulnerable and very impressive. She is the recipient of Peterborough's Folk Festival's 2015 Emerging Artist Award. She defines her songs as expressing "my queer bleeding heart," and I very much enjoyed her music.





Sunflower3
The day was cooling down and it was going to be some time between her porch performance and the next, so I decided to wander back up to where I was parked to grab some warmer clothes. I saw a small cluster of sunflowers along the way.

From somewhere nearby, I could hear music and laughter. I followed the sound over to the Ashburnham Ale House where The Three Martinis were performing their jovial musical improv.

Dan Fewings - Three Martinis
The lead singer was this guy, Dan Fewings and I'm not sure I can express how hilarious and entertaining he was. He made songs up on the spot based on audience suggestions for "never before written songs." I snapped a few photos and discovered that in some of them, Carol Anne and Michael were visible in the background enjoying his humour while trying to get my attention. I joined them for the next hour or two of pure fun.



 

Martinis Tiny Dancer
Fewings had a way of engaging the audience and passersby alike - making their very presence and activities part of the song lyrics. This tiny dancer was as entertaining as he was amused. I would most definitely see The Three Martinis again if I had the chance. Each show would be entirely different because the lyrics are made up on the spot and incredibly funny, to boot!





hawkins
The Pathway of Fame is a series of markers for recognized contributors (artistic, scientific, political.. etc.) to Peterborough, such as this one for Ronnie Hawkins, which can be found through the walkways of Del Crary Park. I snapped this one while strolling with my sister, Andrea and brother-in-law, Bill when they visited in October.





totem pole3
This is part of the property at Whetung Ojibway Centre in Curve Lake, Ontario - about twenty kilometres from home. I accompanied Carol Anne and Michael there on their quest to find moccasins. They were both successful, and I scored a simple dream catcher necklace. The colourful totem pole is one way to continue breathing life into our trees.





warm light
Like this one which filtered the mid-morning sunshine so beautifully on an exceptionally mild November day.





autumnish
On that same mild day, these fall decorations probably knew their days were numbered and that they would soon have to make way for winter and Christmas finery. I did like the sign over to the right which was welcoming felines.





discarded poppies
Windblown leaves and discarded poppies on a front step, just outside of the Curve Lake shop. Yes, I'm all over the place with this post!





late blomer
This late blooming rose was soaking up the afternoon sunshine outside of a home near my place, on the last day of October. I was out walking with my friend, Lloyd when it beckoned to my camera.





window view dusk
And this is how a mid-November dusk appears outside of my window. The clouds were colourful in the eastern sky.

There will be more photos coming up before too much longer.

29 comments:

ellen abbott said...

love the sunflower.

Cloudia said...

Your work really speaks to me! Happy Holiday time, Dear Hil

Kaye Waller said...

I absolutely love the idea of designated front porch concerts! Peterborough must be a wonderful place to live!

joeh said...

I find it hard to remember a song and play at the same time, never mind making it up on the way.

Marie Smith said...

The tiny dancer is so cute. Beautiful photos, as always, SI.

Out on the prairie said...

The green looks nice, its snowing here today HAPPY HOILDAY

גליקלעך יום טוּב

William Kendall said...

It has been a long time since I've been to Curve Lake. My mother liked going there once or twice a year to the shop there.

Merry Christmas!

Maggie May said...

I like the guitarist and the little enthusiastic dancer.
Maggie x

messymimi said...

Someday i want to visit where you live. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays and Enjoy Whatever You Celebrate!

Anvilcloud said...

I recognized that photo as Whetung. We got there a few times, mostly in the 70s and once more about 8 years ago. I always wanted a pair of those moccasins but could never manage to afford it. I could have last time, but they're not exactly compatible with orthopedics.

L. D. said...

I really enjoyed your many theses. When you are shooting photos, you are like a roving reporter picking up all the diverse sights around you. It looks like a fun day. The Indian tribe there stretched down along the North Shore of Minnesota.

Barbara said...

That music festival sounds like so much fun! I loved hopping through your autumn with you through your photos. Thank you!

Red said...

I really like the music bit. I'm going to try to get that going here. we have a few street musicians. I've always liked Ronnie Hawkins.

stephen Hayes said...

Love the pictures. Take care and Merry Christmas.

Rita said...

Love your all over the place post--LOL! Live music is always fun and great photos, as usual. Merry Christmas!! :)

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

Love the totem, the lapel pin worn by the lead singer in the Three Martinis, and the little dancer. What a fun post.

Andy said...

I have only been in Peterborough a few times but your photos make me want to return. Merry Christmas.

sage said...

I love how your neighborhoods have front porch concerts--a lovely ideas. Beautiful photos. Have a Happy Hanukkah

Shammickite said...

You've been having loads of fun I see! Don't forget to call me for the next porchapalooza, I want to be there too! Wishing you a Happy Hanukkah and we definitely will be getting together again in 2017!

DJan said...

A wonderful eclectic post. I enjoyed it very much. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours, Hilary. Sending you some virtual hugs as well. :-)

yaya said...

You always manage to put us right in the action with you and your pics are so good that I feel like I could reach out and touch the items in them. You live in a special town! Have a wonderful holiday!

Betty Manousos said...

Happy Chanukah!

exceptional photography, hilary!
i especially like that tree photo.

best:))

Betty Manousos said...

i'm sorry, i meant to say...Hanukkah!

Kerry said...

What a fun post! I think "The Three Martinis" is a fantastic name for a band and I would love to hear them. Did you come up with some lyrics for them?

Shammickite said...

Happy and Healthy 2017 to you Hilary..... I'll be heading your way when the snow melts! Keep smiling.... and keep the camera handy!

photowannabe said...

I just loved the tour of your Ontario.
The Porchpalooza is a fabulous idea. How fun...Wish we had something like that around here.

Happy New Year Hilary.

Unknown said...

Always love your photos, such a great mix, and it always makes me feel like I've been out on an adventure.

And goodness, just knowing there's such a thing as "porchapalooza" makes me absurdly happy.

Oh, and Happy New Year!!!

Mage said...

Happy new year dear person with the good eye. Thanks so much for being here and giving such joy to us all.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I'd tried to view this post on my phone and only made it through 2 of the photos before realizing that I'd better wait and look at them on my laptop (bigger screen by far for aging eyes). It took me a while, but I'm glad I came back.
That little dancer looks like an older version of my sweet grandson. ♥