Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Cast in a Golden Light

First thing we'd climb a tree
And maybe then we'd talk
Or sit silently
And listen to our thoughts
With illusions of someday
Cast in a golden light
No dress rehearsal,
This is our life
~ Rob Baker/Gordon Downie

There truly is something bordering on magical about that time of day just before sunset (or just after sunrise). The super saturation of colour. The lengthening shadows. The depth of texture. They all make for an especially enjoyable time to be behind the lens. These photos were taken at various times during the past couple of months, at that wonderful hour, late in the day. I hope you enjoy them.

summer blooms
Flowers in the park seem exceptionally proud of their brilliant colours in the late-day sunshine.





Jackson Park
Hopefully some rain will bring more water into the nearly-dry Jackson Creek. I'll bet that something interesting lives amid the roots and rocks at the base that tree.





Jackson Park2
Let's have a closer look. What do you think could be hiding in there?





water colour artist
A young artist was enjoying the lingering daylight while painting the lake in front of her.





Omeeme
This was a bit earlier in the day, in Omeeme, Ontario. There was still a slight amber hue to the light.






prickly berries
A few fuzzy berries basking in the sun's warming rays.





golden bark
Saturation (whether by rain water or by golden sun rays) really adds drama to tree bark. This stand of trees in the park seems to be appreciative of that.





color canoes
Colourful canoes look positively brilliant in this light.





gardening
A gardening crew are all ready to take on the next project.





soft goldenrod
I'm glad I'm not allergic to goldenrod as my mother was. I find it quite attractive. So do all of the little bugs you'll find if you look closely.





streetside at dusk
The sun sets on the city of Peterborough, and you'd think that would mean that the day is pretty much over.





hip
But not if the date is August 20, 2016. And you're in Canada. And you know that this is the night that movie screens are being set up all over the country to simulcast The Tragically Hip's final concert.





hip2
Have a seat. Welcome the night. And see 'the constellations reveal themselves one star at a time.'
Thank you, Gord Downie. 'You are ahead by a century.'

29 comments:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

I know, goodbye Tragically Hip!

Marie Smith said...

It was a night to celebrate our Canadian identity! Beautiful night and gorgeous photos!

DJan said...

Yes, I certain enjoyed that trip through sunset magic. I especially love those colorful canoes! :-)

Out on the prairie said...

I like first sun and that last hour of the day. Climbing that tree made me think of a friends yard where we hung out and discussed life's changes. When they moved he hated leaving that tree.

Karen said...

Your eye for color is amazing!

I've always like the Hip, but have recently really started listening to the lyrics and hearing the story Gord is telling. He is an inspiring lyricist and poet.

Mage said...

Lovely, lovely saturated colors. Since I sort of lost my hearing, I'm no longer a music person. I apologize for not knowing this important band.

Maggie May said...

There does seem to be something magical about the top few photos...... almost expect a little elf to come out!
Beautiful photos.....
Maggie x

Ruth Hiebert said...

Amazing pictures. that special light is often referred to as the Golden Hour and the title makes perfect sense.

Kaye Waller said...

I love the light those times of the day, and you captured it so beautifully!

Tabor said...

The golden hour...with a sense of humor!

Red said...

Lots of good things can be found in late evening light. So a nice trip through the evening.

Rita said...

I always love seeing the world through your eyes. Now I got a little taste of the world through your ears, too--LOL!

Birdie said...

Great pictures! I like how you notice things other people might miss, like the gardening truck.

Jenn Jilks said...

Ah, a poignant post! Wonderful photography!

messymimi said...

You make me want to come visit and see these sights for myself!

Cloudia said...

How wonderful to be with you in such fine scenes! The redning sky with the Maple Leaf flag....the Goldenrod....such wonderful photos ALL

stephen Hayes said...

Great pictures, and I particularly like the golden light hitting those tree trunks.

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

These are all beautiful, Hilary. My personal favorites are the hairy berries and those amazing trees in the park.

Grandma C said...

The second photo of Jackson Creek captured my heart. Somewhere back in the shadows of the trees a hobbit could be living. lol That is a beautiful spot thank you for sharing!

Anvilcloud said...

When the light is good enough, almost any subject becomes a good photo.

Lady Fi said...

I love the colours and the light.

Kat said...

Gorgeous photos!
The golden hour will ALWAYS remind me of my father. His favorite time of day. His oohs and aahs will always echo in my mind when I see the sunlight slanting in through the trees or reflecting a golden orange. :) Thank you for that reminder.

Kerry said...

I love that time of day too, and in autumn the light seems to be extra golden. These are all beautiful, Hilary

Shammickite said...

That was a great concert wasn't it! More wonderful images from your camera Hilary.... I love them all. Especially the light on the trees in the park.

Barb said...

You've captured magical light in your photos, Hilary. Here at the edge of wilderness, I don't often walk at dusk. Too many animals start their roaming. However, I love the quality of the light. Your photos are so crisp. I feel like I could reach out and pluck that berry!

Daryl said...

beautiful shots all .. in the movie biz its called Golden Hour ...

William Kendall said...

Beautiful shots- that dusk one particularly!

Mandy said...

Aaah, what a great set of photos. I like this time of year too. Your photo of the rain/sun saturated trees is really lovely.

Linda said...

Such beautiful pictures, Hilary. I really love the one with the light on the trees. Sorry, but I'm not familiar with the band. I will have to look them up.