Saturday, July 30, 2016

Flora & Fauna

I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

No surprises here. This post is all about some of the plants and critters I've seen around town recently. I have one photo collection of just dogs but that's for another time. For now, enjoy some flora and fauna - not necessarily in any orda.

robin
I used to think of robins as the first sign of spring but over the years, I believe the red-winged blackbird became its true harbinger. Still, there's no denying the robin is a lovely bird to see and to hear throughout the summer.





robin2
Here's that same handsome specimen, a little bit closer.





thistle4
Over the past several weeks, through June and July, I've been doing some enumerating work which required a lot of walking around my neighbourhood. All those hours without a camera made me antsy for another walk, one evening. Throughout the previous week, I kept passing this overgrown thistle which shot up out of the sidewalk along the side of the road. On this evening, I decided to go back its location and take a few shots.





thistle5
The sun was low and it gave life to its rich colours.





thistle6
Pretty beautiful for a thorny old weed.





Oliver
My neighbour's beautiful cat, Oliver having a short rest in the warming sunshine, between bouts of virgorous play.





lyin' goslings
This makes me think of that Canadian actor.. what's his name? Oh yeah, Lyin' Gosling(s).





ice cream squirrel
It was a hot day. A perfect day for a frozen treat. And this little cutie somehow scored an ice cream cone of his very own. He sat there on the fence for a long time, enjoying every last bit of it. This was taken through the window, three floors and half a yard away.





iris
A pretty iris growing in a neighbourhood yard.





grey kitty
I was walking home from the park one evening and this sweet, friendly kitty demanded that I stop and give her some attention. She started speaking to me as I approached, and head-butted my hand as I reached down to pet her. She staked her claim by lying on my foot lest I try to depart too soon. We had a good, long chat and snuggle, and then she returned to her driveway to await the next cat lover.





Zeph and Alex
And here's my own sweet Zephyr with my son Alex, who visited me in July. Both of my boys were rather tired.

More photos coming up before you know it.

32 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

love the three sweet kitties. and that pretty thistle. and the adorable black squirrel eating an ice cream cone!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Beautiful set of pictures. The Irises may well be my favourite in this post.

Red said...

Keep on walking. You come up with some great photo opps and then know what to do with them

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

Aw. Such a sweet shot of Zephyr and Alex. The robin shot was beautiful. I'm guessing some little person dropped his ice cream cone and the squirrel claimed it for his own. Cute shot, that one. The thistle shots are amazing, as is the one of Oliver. Nice set of photos, my friend.

Laura~Pretty Pix said...

Wonderful sweet post!

Marie Smith said...

The life in your neighbourhood is beautiful and I enjoyed your narration. I can almost hear your voice.

Anvilcloud said...

Many fine photos as per usual. The first thistle was stunning and Alex and the Cat is excellent.

DJan said...

As usual, I loved all your pictures, Hilary. And that quote by Tyson reminds me to check into green burial. Lovely critter and plant pictures, especially that last one. :-)

messymimi said...

Pictures to make one smile, especially the last one!

Karen said...

Great set of photos Hilary. The thistle is amazing. My thistle didn't come back this year. I always let the one grow out of respect for my Scottish heritage.

Out on the prairie said...

What a great collection. A resident cat at the marina followed me down and watched me fish this last week.Maybe hoping for a hand out.

Cloudia said...

Oh you made my heart laugh so happily!

stephen Hayes said...

All great pictures, but I particularly like the one with the squirrel and the ice cream cone.

Birdie said...

Emily Carr, my favourite artist/writer/poet wrote this,

“Dear Mother Earth! I think I have always specially belonged to you. I have loved from babyhood to roll upon you, to lie with my face pressed right down on to you in my sorrows. I love the look of you and the smell of you and the feel of you. When I die I should like to be in you uncoffined, unshrouded, the petals of flowers against my flesh and you covering me up.”

Rick Watson said...

You do beautiful work.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

My Sissy wishes Oliver a 'woof woof. grr'

yaya said...

Love the walk! So much beauty in the simple things of life. Your Zephyr reminds me of our late little Squeak..it will be a year since she passed away. Time flies!

SandyCarlson said...

Gorgeous, all! So much peace here--especially in the last image.

Tabor said...

Oh, no, you are not getting off so easily. Enumerating? Enumerating what?

Theresa said...

Such a peaceful soothing post and such glorious pictures. Feeling blessed by it.

Leah J. Utas said...

Such beautiful photos. Thanks.

Daryl said...

around here the robins are all teases ... they wait till you get all set to snap and then they fly off before the shutter falls ...

Rita said...

Oh, a black squirrel! The only time I saw one of those was in Canada! Striking, they are. You must have a wonderful zoom lens in your camera--wow! For all the shots--from the lowly thistle to the robin to your son & feline in repose. Wonderful post!! :)

ellen abbott said...

that thistle is a beauty and what a sweet snuggly kitty.

photowannabe said...

Thistles just beg to be photographed.
Beautiful.
Alex and Zephyr are the picture of contentment.
Love them all.

Lady Fi said...

Such lovely shots!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Great shots- I love the one of the squirrel with the ice cream. How cute! The thistle is gorgeous, even though it is such a dreaded thorn here. It does have beauty.

Haddock said...

Lovely pics.
That cutie with the cone is the ultimate.

William Kendall said...

The cats, of course, are my favourites!

Gayle said...

Hard to find a fave. I have looked and looked and if push comes to shove, gotta take the last one. Two mighty handsome furry folks! You have such a fine eye.
xo

Linda said...

Love that last one. Cats make great snooze buddies.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I have often thought that your macros are my favorites, but a few of these others are sweet competition indeed: your boy & cat, Oliver, the squirrel with the ice cream cone!