Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Texture and Wonder

Indifference is isolation. In difference is texture and wonder. ~Edwin Schlossberg 


As some of you have noticed before (hi, AC!), I tend to develop a theme around a small collection of photos, from time to time. This is one of those times, and the theme is texture.

snow frills
I used to be Snow White, but I drifted. ~Mae West
After as snowstorm, when all was said and done, layers of snow combined with wind created this frilly effect.





little red cutie
A squirrel is just a rat with a cuter outfit. ~Sarah Jessica Parker
Rough branches, prickly needles and the soft little stubble of a red squirrel's moustache and whiskers.





blue boy alex
I have a son, who is my heart. A wonderful young man, daring and loving and strong and kind. ~Maya Angelou
And speaking of stubble, this contemplative beard-laden face belongs to my younger son. We were at a family wedding where the lighting was blueish. At that particular moment, perhaps the music was too.





texture
How memories lie to us. How time coats the ordinary with gold. How it breaks the heart to go back and attempt to re-live them. How crushed we are when we discover that the gold was merely gold-plating thinly coated over lead, chalk and peeling paint. ~Henry Rollins
I suppose it would take a fair bit of work to get this place in shape again.





Lisa's friend Karens dog
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then give him only two of them. ~Phil Pastoret
This beauty is Marzy. I met her while visiting friends a short while before Christmas.



Wabukayne walk17
I had always felt that mittens were a few steps back on the evolutionary scale-- why, I wondered, would we want to make ourselves into a less agile version of lobster. ~David Levithan
Out for a walk with my previous neighbour, Caroline in my old neighbourhood last March, I saw this fuzzy bunny mitten waiting patiently for its owner to find it.




Right from the gecko4
Precisely the least, the softest, lightest, a lizard's rustling, a breath, a flash, a moment - a little makes the way of the best happiness. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
And this smile belongs to Caroline. So does the cute and scaly little guy on her shoulder. I took an immediate liking to him... right from the gecko.





wing kissed
Be like the bird that, pausing in her flight awhile on boughs too slight, feels them give way beneath her, and yet sings, knowing that she hath wings. ~Victor Hugo
This delicate imprint in the snow appears to be from bird wings – most likely a blue jay. I suspect that it was about to land in the fresh snow but changed its mind in mid-descent.





rusty5
Beneath the rust and grime which dulls the shine of our weathered hearts, joy patiently waits to be rediscovered. ~John Mark Green
I wonder if anyone will buy this rusty old beauty and give it new life?





Oliver2
A meow massages the heart. ~Stuart McMillan
These are Oliver's watchful eyes. He's about ten months old and belongs to my neighbour, Carol. I checked in on him a couple of times a day while she was away on holidays, recently. He's quite the cuddler, and never stops purring the full time that I'm with him – about a half hour each visit. I suppose that he continues to rumble for a while after I've closed the door behind me.





superhit2
At the end of our lives we hope we will look back and, like an incense stick completely burned away, will have poured forth all our fragrance into the world. ~Prem Prakash
This last bit of texture is a macro view of a skinny stick of incense. The scent is called Super Hit, and it's one of my favourites.

See you next time with more photos.

53 comments:

William Kendall said...

Quite a mix of images... but being a devotee of cats, I must say Oliver's my favourite!

TexWisGirl said...

oliver is a doll. the lizard is adorable! love the whiskery little red!

Betsy Brock said...

A beautiful collection of texture! Love Oliver...what a great photo!

Marie Smith said...

Beautiful photos. I love the variety, the clarity, the eye you have. Great job!

Ruth Hiebert said...

This is a set of fascinating pictures. The snow creates some of the most beautiful and intricate artwork.

Glo said...

Along with your captivating photography, I loved the fitting quotes accompanying your photos...starting with...Snow White and drifted... ;) The prickly tree bristles fitted so well into the scene with red cutie and his fine set of whiskers. The mitten/lobster connection was right on! Sweet kitty seems most contented, thanks to your kind care. The atmospheric photo of your son would make a great promo shot! I think there is a possibility that the glancing wing print may have something to do with the other prints on the roof! As from ‘right from the gecko’..., yeah, I laughed out loud. This was a wonderful post that I thoroughly enjoyed. Thanks Hilary!

Barb said...

I like these disparate images under a common theme. I see you managed a pun, too!

stephen Hayes said...

Congratulations on creating a portfolio of richly textures photographs.

joeh said...

You do have a good eye, and never miss a pun opportunity...right from the gecko!

Red said...

I enjoy your themes. I like the old truck. I start to wonder how long the for sale sign has been in the window when I see how deep the flat
tires are covered by leaves

Theresa said...

I always love that you have just the perfect quote for each picture. And the pics themselves are so perfect. Love the gecko, and Oliver and Marzy of course, but really, they are all wonderous.

Unknown said...

Wow! Oliver is a great looking Cat and your son reminded me of a rock star.
I'm sure he enjoyed that photo!

Linda said...

Excellent images! I like the quotes but they are in such a small font.

messymimi said...

The brush of wings on snow is something i don't get to see, living in a snowless swamp.

Out on the prairie said...

A very nice selection, as seen through the artists eye. I always enjoy your pics and thoughts for putting them all together.

Mandy said...

What a lovely selection of photos. The portrait of your son is lovely, it really captures the mood.

ADRIAN said...

I enjoyed these Hilary. The one of your son is excellent.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Beautiful collection :) You don't see many people lined up to buy that pickup!

Linda said...

Your photos capture the different textures, well done.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

awww...enjoyed this trek through texture

:)

Tabor said...

Your photos just suck my right in!! Love them.

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

Heh, heh! "Right from the gecko." You found quite a variety of subjects for this texture-themed post. Love those delicate wing imprints in the snow. Good eye, to spot those.

Sharon Wagner said...

I love the Mae West quote. I hope I can remember that one. And of course, the kitty one too.

Anonymous said...

I love how you can tie seemingly unrelated photos together into a theme. They are all wonderful - I could hear Oliver purring from here! Love the one of your stubbly son. Thank you! Totally worth taking a break from work. :)

Dan said...

Exquisite series of finely textured pics of varying complexity and light. You definitely have... several, high level skills working together in harmony.

Karen said...

Nice work Hillary. Many of your shots were very thought provoking.

Anvilcloud said...

Good job as usual. Carry on.

Rita said...

Oh, I loved all of these! Was especially and unexpectedly delighted to see a gecko, though! Well, the squirrel observation was a delight, too. Face it--they all were. :)

Cloudia said...

You just blow me away with the total package you gift us with. Serious props

Suldog said...

I find it amazingly wonderful that you can get our animal friends to look directly into your lens. You have am outstanding rapport with nature.

A Cuban In London said...

I loved the range of images. Thanks.

Greetings from London.

Jenn Jilks said...

'Right from the gecko!" You're so funny!
You take wonderful photos. I'm so glad we met! hugs!

Linette said...

Beautiful captures and LOVE that kitten ♥ what a sweetheart. =0)

DJan said...

Oh HIlary, I loved them all! I could totally relate to the kitty, since I recently petted a kitty for a week and loved every moment. :-)

sage said...

I love the intensity of the cat and squirrel's eyes.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous shots - I love that first one with the snow!

ellen abbott said...

always beautiful photos Hilary. the old truck? my son in law would buy it with the intent of restoring it. I imagine it would just join the line of trucks in the side yard of our shop. our own sort of Cadillac Ranch.

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Good looking, son. Oh, to be younger.

Enjoyed these textural photos. Especially the snow. I don't often get to see it in real life anymore (doesn't really bother me) but when I do, I am enamored with its beauty. Especially after the it first falls. I also liked the mitten, the feather marks, and the old truck, and...

Lisa said...

Wonderful collection of photos. I think Oliver grabbed my heart.

Shammickite said...

You seem to be back in the swing of things and I am very glad to see it! I wonder who went home with one cold hand. And thank you for the reminder that I have some fragrant incense hidden somewhere, I should dig it out and use it. Lovely images, as usual Miss H.

photowannabe said...

Hilary, I think you have outdone yourself this time.
I really think you need to produce a book of your work.
the shot of your son is fantastic as well as the incense burning...but what can I say ? Each one is amazing to me.

Joanna Jenkins said...

Beautiful, as always, Hilary. I especially like the one of your son and the bunny mitten.
Looks like you've had a lot of snow. How you're staying warm.
xo jj

Kerry said...

Oh gosh Hilary. What a great post. I had to reel myself in after the very first quote by Mae West. Hahahaaa! Wasn't sure you could top that, but all of the captions are wonderful.

Leah J. Utas said...

Lovely work, Hilary.

Linda said...

Little Oliver is precious! I love a good kitty snuggle. I also love the drifted snow. Nature makes such wonderful patterns.

Wendy said...

Oh my, the look on Marzy's face! As if "who the heck are you? Get off my territory!" LOL.

Bird's wings in the snow - how very unusual. I would not have guessed! And your dear little squirrel (well they're not so dear when they get in the bird feeders!), seems very inquisitive.

Nice pics, Hilary! It's interesting to note all the different textures.
ps. - I'd like to take Oliver home with me. LOL.
Hugs

Daryl said...

all beautiful textures ... and a ginger boy .. gingers are by far the sweetest .. -

Maggie May said...

As usual, I love all your work.
The squirrel and the cat are my favourites.
Maggie x

Eddie said...

Loved the entire collection . . . especially Oliver and the squirrel . . .:)
xox

Eddie Bluelights said...

Sorry wrong email used . . . . :)

Unknown said...

Beautiful collection of Pictures!!

Maggie

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I am definitely a lover of texture and so love the photos you've chosen to share here. Oliver looks to be a perfect sweetheart. The quote by Henry Rollins moved me, as did the photo you chose to go with it.
Sending you hugs!

Betty Manousos said...

terrific series of photos, hilary! great work! it's really hard to pick a favourite.
oliver is such a cutie!

xoxo