Sunday, November 22, 2015

Cherished to the Full

Each golden day was cherished to the full, for one had the feeling that each must be the last. Tomorrow it would be winter.
~ Elizabeth Enright

November 3rd was an amazingly warm day in Peterborough. Sweatshirts and jackets remained hung in the closet since nothing more than a t-shirt was required for a walk in the park. Well yeah, I did wear jeans too.

autumn yellow
Brilliant sunshine illuminated the last of autumn's intense colours, set off by the bright blue waters of Little Lake and the Otonabee River.




geese in flight
Occasionally, a Canada goose or two would feel mildly threatened by my approach, causing them to take wing and land in the safety of the water.




geese takeoff
Soon all of them were frantically making their way into the lake. They were never all that concerned with my presence before. What's that all about?





culprit
Ah, there's the proud little culprit.




Empty harbour
The harbour was empty of boats which are all packed away for the winter.




Empty harbour2 hands up
Don't these mooring posts look like they've all been caught robbing a bank? Come out with your hands up!





Co-opportunity Belleville artist James Smith
This is The Union Sculpture which was commissioned by the Peterborough District Labour Council to honour the history of the local labour movement.



swaying
The fluffy white plumes of ornamental grass sway like a June bride's veil flowing in the breeze. I could easily believe it was a balmy day, five months earlier.




enjoying the sun
The temperature rose to 24C (75F) which is practically unheard of for November around here. It was as if summer had lost her way and needed a place to stay for a day or two. And Ontario was happy to accommodate her.





feeding fowl first toss
And this man, dressed for this gift of warmth, was happy to oblige the ducks by tossing out crackers and bread for them to enjoy.




feeding fowl frenzy
It wasn't long before the gulls caught on to the offered treats. They swarmed the area making it difficult for the mallards to feast.




train
Crossing from one shore to the other was a slow-moving Canadian Pacific Railway train.




river island
One of a few mini islands off the shores of Peterborough. I wonder if the driftwood happened naturally or if it was placed there.




waiting for ice
It would seem that not all of us are happy with the return of the warm weather. This guy appears to be waiting patiently for a patch of ice on which to play his hockey game. He might have his wish soon. Today, I saw a few snow flurries.

Till next year, Summer. I'll be happy to greet you, once again.

48 comments:

DJan said...

Your pictures tell a wonderful story of incredible warmth in November. I love them all, including the last one of the skater patiently awaiting his turn. :-)

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, dear Hilary! Mother nature treated you folks to a rare and wonderful day, an extension of summer. Here in Florida we would consider a November temperature of 75 F refreshingly cool, not delightfully warm. :) Of all the fall leaf colors I think I like those bright yellow ones best. You captured many spectacular scenes that day. Along with the colorful foliage my favorite images are the sculpture, the grasses, the feeding birds and the handsome red train passing over the river. Thank you very much, dear friend Hilary, and have a splendid week!

Marie Smith said...

So beautiful. Your pictures are spectacular. Love the geese taking off. Great day!

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

Ah, such beautiful autumn images. Love the little bank robbers. :)

Unknown said...

As always, Hilary, delightful and very thoughtful photos with charm and grace. I enjoyed them all, including "The Culprit"! :)

Cloudia said...

FABULOUS shots all! I'd be hard pressed to choose a favourite. I am learning how diff it is to get goose shots like those!








Warm ALOHA,
ComfortSpiral

Karen said...

Oh Hilary, we had a great dump of snow up here in the hills last night!
I've never seen those sculptures before. Come spring I'm going to have to take a good walk. My sister lives right beside that rail line on the far side of Little Lake, so we could skitch across it to the walking trails. (I see her building in several of your photos at Little Lake.)

Gayle said...

Yep, cannot choose a fave, all too good. The autumn color seems so rich.
TY.

Red said...

Nice warm photos to go with your warm weather. I hate to rain on your party but things will change.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Gorgeous pictures. It seems that winter is slow in coming to many parts this year.

joeh said...

I think some of those geese visit here in the summer so I call them New Jersey geese.

TexWisGirl said...

i wasn't able to load a lot of the pics (my connection was out earlier today and slow now) but what i saw was beautiful.

ADRIAN said...

I enjoyed this wander, I thought I'd lost a gog for a moment but no it's a close relative.

Andy said...

As always beautiful photos Hilary. The weather has been awesome.

J Graham said...

Love these... I don't know how you can capture a temperature in a two dimensional photo, but you sure did--I felt warmer just looking at them!

--Crabby

messymimi said...

It must be lovely to have such a day when you expect cold. Those mooring posts do look like a surrendering army!

Lori Buff said...

We used to call that break from the cool weather of autumn “Indian summer.” It’s such a gift and you captured it beautifully.

Bob Bushell said...

Beautiful images of Peterborough, I really loved the sculpture, long live the labour movement.

stephen Hayes said...

Beautiful pictures and I could use some of that warmth today. Here in Portland it's below freezing.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you were able to get out and enjoy that glorious weather! What a beautiful place to enjoy it. Love that quote and perfect title!

Catherine said...

Summer's final fling! Winter has finally arrived here in the UK and we have arctic weather. Time for woolly hats and scarves and log fires!

Theresa said...

What a delightful stroll through a very late Indian summer. Here we are finally getting seasonal weather and since winter is my favorite season I'm a happy camper or at least until end of March. ;-)

Anonymous said...

What a perfect autumnal day!

Dan said...

Hilary, your words and photographs mesh... as one beautifully scored symphony.

Leah J. Utas said...

The day was a wonderful gift. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Phyllis E said...

Cuzzie, like a fine wine, you just keep getting better and better.

Out on the prairie said...

Some great captures, like the gulls hogging goodies. When I am close to the ocean I love to feed them, and the natives deplore me.

Linda said...

We have had such amazing weather for November, and only the past day or so have dipped down to cooler temperatures. In fact we had a sprinkle of snow overnight, not as much as other parts of the province. Lovely photos, especially the greedy gulls in flight.

Maggie May said...

I love the bank robbers with their hands up!
Such an imagination!
Beautiful pictures.

I'm doing fine thanks.
Maggie x

Rita said...

Oh wow! That was a nice little heat break. Funny about the geese...then it all made sense when I saw the Westie! Such a pretty town. Have a glorious week, my friend!! :)

William Kendall said...

Gloriously beautiful shots.

The Culprit looks adorable.

sage said...

Your photos are always lovely and I really like the Canadian Pacific trains!

yaya said...

I love Indian Summer! It's a little gift before the chill...and when in happens in January it's like a birthday and Christmas present all wrapped up together! (it does happen here in Jan. every once in a while!) You captured that beautiful day perfectly. I think the geese look like they are jumping for joy and I do think gulls are the greediest creatures ever! I hope the snow stays away a bit longer for you but I'm betting your Winter pics will dazzle us too!

Kerry said...

I wonder if those flurries turned into full-fledged snow by now. The upper midwest of the US certainly got hit by Bella. Maybe you did as well? Here in Oregon it is raining tonight, a cold winter rain.

Becca said...

Great pics! Fall has definitely left where I am - it's cold! Your little culprit is just the cutest doggie ever!

Linda said...

No ice today! Those are beautiful images of the lake. Have a nice week!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Such a pretty town you moved to :) It was a surprise to see leaves still on in November, wasn't it?

Tammie Lee said...

such beautiful images
i can almost feel the warmth, oops, no that is my wood stove ;-)
lovely to see your world.

EG CameraGirl said...

It has been an amazing November, hasn't it? I usually dread the 11th month of the year but these paast few weeks may have changed my mind.

Barb said...

The river and lake provide some very scenic landscapes. I love the plumy grasses. It's so cold here - I can't even imagine 75!

Daryl said...

this oddly warm fall is perplexing ... i dont look forward to snow or sleet or winter's icy grip but i think for now i am over summer..

Linda said...

It is a colorful world you have found yourself in. I especially like the bandits on the dock, and the geese and gulls in flight. There is beauty everywhere...we just have to look.

A Cuban In London said...

Beautiful post and great photos. I want to capture that bit of magic here before winter arrives.

Greetings from London.

Mage said...

You are having a wonderful response to your return. Such good cheer you offer us. I thank you.

Betty Manousos said...

what a spectacular my friend! you're so fortunate to live in such a pretty town.

happy thanksgiving!!
hope your thanksgiving is filled with blessings, joy, and of course, great food. xoxo

Shammickite said...

Hilary.... for some reason I'm having a hard time loading your pictures on this post. Have you done something different?
Other people don't seem to be having difficulty so perhaps it's just me!

Jenn Jilks said...

Hope all is well!

ellen abbott said...

playing a bit of catch up here. looks like you have resettled in a sweet place.