Saturday, November 28, 2015

Across Lake Erie

You can't see Canada across lake Erie, but you know it's there. It's the same with spring. You have to have faith, especially in Cleveland.
~ Paul Fleischman

A couple of posts back, I brought you with me to Port Dover, Ontario where we celebrated Friday the 13th - biker style. True, those weren't photos from this November 13th which filled my blog page, but rather Friday the 13th of March. At the end of that post, I promised to share some different Port Dover images from that same visit, and these are them - with nary a biker to be seen in any of them.

PD lake side into the sun2
I was in Port Dover to visit my lovely sister, Andrea (hi, Andi!) who who has lived in this picturesque town for close to forty years now. Being March, we still had a fair bit of ice and snow to contend with on the northern shores of Lake Erie.





PD Creek falls 2
Yet, the melt had indeed begun as evidenced by the free-flowing creek.





PD lake erie beach pooch
It was a cold day for just sitting but this pooch and his person were enjoying the icy view.





PD Fisherman Monument
I don't think we often consider the dangers that commercial fishing entails but this community has had its share of sad losses. This monument is for them.





PD port dover lighthouse3
The lighthouse is a well-known landmark in Port Dover and it looks especially pretty when the setting sun creates such a colourful backdrop.





PD port dover lighthouse
The sign says "No Swimming - No Diving - No Jumping." With all that ice... no problem!





PD Callahans lobby
The next evening, Andrea and I went out to dinner at Callahan's Beach House. Old posters and photographs of performers decorate the walls of their lobby.





PD Callahans through the window
The rest of these images were taken through glass where reflections distract somewhat but the view was still enjoyable.





PD Callahan view sunset
This pair navigated their way over the bumpy lake ice.





PD Callahans sunset
As we enjoyed a delicious meal, we were treated to another warming sunset.





PD Callahans sunset sky
Always beautiful - Port Dover.

45 comments:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Gorgeous photos, but really, there is no hurry to get into winter again :)

Andy said...

Nice photos Hilary. You found the beauty of Port Dover at a time of year when beauty is hard to find.

messymimi said...

You captured a lovely day in your special way!

Theresa said...

Brrr, but beautiful! Gloucester MA has a monument also dedicated to fishermen lost at sea and unless you live on a coastline of some size you probably don't think about it. I've seen Lake Erie from the other side, but only once in winter. Thank you for the visit in which my hands and feet stay warm! :-)

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, Hilary! Mrs. Shady and I are planning a trip to Canada and making a short list of destinations. Lovely, natural, peaceful, unspoiled Port Dover is the type of community that belongs on our list. I would love to dine at Callahan's Beach House. In my bachelor years, I wallpapered my apartment with movie posters and celebrity head shots.

Have a great week, dear friend Hilary!

DJan said...

I'm having trouble leaving a comment. I'll try again. Love the pictures, Hilary, even though they look chilly, the skies are wonderful. :-)

Marie Smith said...

When winter sets in, I like to hibernate like the bears. Your photos capture the brave souls who dare to venture forth in the rare beauty that is winter. Love the trip to Port Dover that you facilitated.

Anvilcloud said...

What a nice bunch of photos you got. But I want to see the white cliffs of Dover. Where the heck are they. :)

Linda said...

beautiful series of photos from your Port Dover trip

Red said...

This post fits right in to our winter conditions. It's interesting to see the harsh conditions along the lake with ice and snow and it doesn't take much to imagine the wind sweeping across the lake.

ellen abbott said...

some really nice shots there, especially that last one. and the one of the man and his dog and all that ice. brrr. makes me cold just to look at it.

stephen Hayes said...

I've yet to visit these parts but your poetic pictures certainly make it look appealing, if a bit chilly. Take care.

joeh said...

Brrrrr!

Kathleen's Blog said...

Beautiful pictures!!!

Kaye Waller said...

I can't tell you how happy it makes me when I see that you've posted another entry to your blog. There's nothing better than sitting in bed on a cold morning drinking my coffee and looking at your wonderful photographs. You always seem to find the beauty in whatever landscape you are viewing. That's a rare gift.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

Wonderful series. Made me think brrrrrr

Phyllis E said...

Always beautiful - your photography. Your spirit shines through with every shutter click.

Rita said...

Oh wow! Beautiful shots of your sister's town. Won't be long and that snow will be back. :)

Ruth Hiebert said...

Gorgeous pictures. The colors of sunset are especially lovely.

Barb said...

Doesn't that last look like a flock of ethereal birds flying into the sunset? I liked this tour of Port Dover - it looks like a (chilly) beautiful spot.

Unknown said...

Hi Hilary: I was especially heartened by the Beach House visit! All beautiful photos.

TexWisGirl said...

thanks for the blast of cold, lakeside air. :)

Tammie Lee said...

so very lovely!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Barbara said...

Truly beautiful, but a reminder that I would never make it north of Dallas! I'm sitting here shivering in my house at 68 degrees!

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

Oh, so beautiful, my friend. I think my favorites of this grouping are the pooch and his person and the last shot of the clouds and sunset. But they're all up to your usual fine standards.

Rick Watson said...

Those pictures look like postcards.

Anonymous said...

Wow - amazing shots. And so cold already!

Linda said...

What a beautifully picturesque town. Love the ice-scapes followed by the warmth of the sunsets.

EG CameraGirl said...

I think I need to add Port Dover to my bucket list!

Out on the prairie said...

lots of ice and snow. I am going to Colorado to snowboard Friday.

William Kendall said...

What gorgeous winter shots!

Glo said...

Thanks for sharing your visit to your sister at Port Dover ~ Beautiful sights accented by your photographic eye that finds just the right light and colour combinations! Looks like a lovely spot, even though it looks cccooooollllddddd shiver ;)

yaya said...

What a beautiful place to live! However, it sure looks cold..your photos really bring out the chill factor! It would be so fun to explore that area. In the last pic it looks like a couple of flying saucers in the air..or just a couple of orbs!

Bob Bushell said...

They are indeed beautiful, I love the skies, fantastic Hilary.

Daryl said...

lovely .. the first photo reminded me of a spot in NJ, Sandy Hook its called and i took a very similar photo there ...

Mage said...

Just lovely indeed....typing on....

Linda said...

Looks cold! That's a wonderful sky in the last shot ... almost a floating angel!

Lori Buff said...

I could look at those sunset pictures all day. You’ve captured it beautifully.

Cloudia said...

What fabulous winter-scapes, and winter skies! A wonderful keepsake invitation to this sweet place. I'd love to dine there and hear stories of the old days. I'm learning the austere beauty of winter skies myself.





"The mere sense of living is joy enough."
Emily Dickinson


Warm ALOHA,
ComfortSpiral




Becca said...

I think some of the shows on TV have helped to show the dangers of commercial fishing. It's a scary job that I would never want to have! Great photos as usual :)

Indrani said...

Truly gorgeous captures. I liked the colorful skies in the background with white snow in the foreground.

A Cuban In London said...

The photos are breath-taking. Thanks.

Greetings from London.

Mandy said...

Oh, I love the light in these photos! 1,3 and 6 are my favourites. I bet it looks completely different there in summer.

Jenn Jilks said...

I'm so behind on blog visits. I visited my client yesterday, the one who gave me this virus, and I've been coughing again. Crikey! Lovely photos.