Monday, October 19, 2015

Dreamful Autumn

Pale amber sunlight falls across
The reddening October trees....
Are we not better and at home
In dreamful Autumn, we who deem
No harvest joy is worth a dream?
A little while and night shall come,
A little while, then, let us dream...
~Ernest Dowson

A few days ago, a friend asked me if I wanted to join her for a drive out to nearby Warsaw, Ontario for the opportunity to snap some autumn photos. Well you know me - I didn't need my arm twisted. I charged up my battery and off we headed to the countryside.

Autumn drive3
Take heart and dive into the quiet maturity of autumn. ~ Kristian Goldmund Aumann
It wasn't the town itself which drew us so much as the drive there.





Autumn drive63
The leaves fall, the wind blows, and the farm country slowly changes from the summer cottons into its winter wools. ~ Henry Beston
The day had started off sunny but by the time we left, it was mostly cloudy - making the fleeting appearances of sunshine all the more treasured.





Autumn drive16
I am struck by the simplicity of light in the atmosphere in the autumn, as if the earth absorbed none, and out of this profusion of dazzling light came the autumnal tints. ~ Henry David Thoreau
Barns tend to look beautiful no matter the season - but especially so in autumn.





Autumn drive37
It was a beautiful bright autumn day, with air like cider and a sky so blue you could drown in it. ~ Diana Gabaldon
This road kept getting narrower and narrower until we reached a point where we realized that the only way out was to back up.





Autumn drive38
Love the trees until their leaves fall off, then encourage them to try again next year. ~ Chad Sugg
Even the already-bare trees looked beautiful.





Autumn drive34
Let us not forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other arts will follow. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization. ~ Daniel Webster
Traffic jam - country style.





Autumn drive62
Autumn that year painted the countryside in vivid shades of scarlet, saffron and russet, and the days were clear and crisp under harvest skies. ~ Sharon Kay Penman
A cozy-looking scene.





Autumn drive57
Autumn carries more gold in its pocket than all the other seasons. ~ Jim Bishop
There certainly was a wealth of gold.





Autumn drive43
I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers. ~ L.M. Montgomery
We kept pulling over to the side of the road whenever one of these visual treasures dazzled our eyes.





Autumn drive11
Autumn burned brightly, a running flame through the mountains, a torch flung to the trees. ~ Faith Baldwin
We first stopped here when the sun was hiding and it was rather anti-climatic. As we were about to get back into the car, the sun teased us by filtering its light through the hazy clouds giving us this colourful treat.





Autumn drive5
The fallen leaves in the forest seemed to make even the ground glow and burn with light. ~ Malcolm Lowry
This scene seemed to radiate its own heat - almost.





Autumn drive53
It's a beautiful fall day. Gentle wind teases stubborn autumn leaves. Some defy the gentle wind and sway. A taunting dance. Come with me and look at the magnificence of the last dance. ~ Fidelis O. Mkparu
One tree bearing every autumn colour you could imagine.





Autumn drive52
There is something incredibly nostalgic and significant about the annual cascade of autumn leaves. ~ Joe L. Wheeler
A lovely wall of orange.





Autumn drive20
Horses make a landscape look beautiful. ~ Alice Walker
These beauties were out enjoying the autumn sunshine.





Autumn drive28
The essential joy of being with horses is that it brings us in contact with the rare elements of grace, beauty, spirit and freedom. ~ Sharon Ralls Lemon
The young one was curious about the stranger talking to them and clicking photos.





Autumn drive32
A horse loves freedom, and the weariest old work horse will roll on the ground or break into a lumbering gallop when he is turned loose into the open. ~ Gerald Raftery
Somebody must have rung the dinner bell.





Autumn drive55
Now Autumn's fire burns slowly along the woods. And day by day the dead leaves fall and melt. ~ William Allingham
A welcoming entrance way into the field.




Autumn drive50
Take this drink as a token of my disrepute and spin that hay tonight and tomorrow it will be shining golden bright in whatever heavy delirious weave you wish to make. ~ Initially NO
Hay, we're all done here.

It's been trickier for me to get around to visiting your blogs as often as I used to but I do hope to stop by to catch up shortly. Until then, thanks for joining me through the southern Ontario countryside.

53 comments:

Glo said...

You have shown Autumn off in all her glorious splendour! Thoroughly enjoyed the colours, quotes, and horses flying free like the leaves themselves. Happy Fall, Hilary!

Shady Del Knight said...

These are glorious pictures, dear Hilary! They make me homesick for my native Central Pennsylvania. I have been living in Florida since 1984 and have had few opportunities in the last 30+ years to witness the magnificence of fall foliage. This was an exceptionally nice treat given the fact that you captioned the images with inspiring quotes.

Have a wonderful week, dear friend Hilary!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Gorgeous fall photos. Nothing like a drive in the country during the beauty of fall.

Kaye Waller said...

Autumn is a little late in arriving here, but the leaves covering the driveway tell me it's only a couple of weeks away. Lovely photos; I especially like the one of the narrowing road. I want to walk further!

Tabor said...

You have selected another area of paradise in which to live. Gorgeous.

Cloudia said...

Soulful!







ALOHA
ComfortSpiral

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Red said...

It's a good thing you decided to go on a drive. Your captions go very well with each photo.

Karen said...

What lovely photos. I miss the colors already as the trees in my yard have dropped their glory.
My paternal grandfather is buried in Warsaw. I really like driving up there. I seem to get lost each time I head that way, but the experience is always worth it.

DJan said...

So wonderful! All the pictures, but I especially enjoyed seeing the horses running with abandon. I really enjoyed this series. Thank you! :-)

messymimi said...

Thank you, i've missed your beautiful jaunts!

sage said...

Thanks for sharing and reminding me of what I miss most from the north woods! As always, beautiful photos

The Furry Gnome said...

Looks like a beautiful day in the country!

Unknown said...

Hilary: As Deni Bonet once said, "I thought I'd spin by" and have a look at your photography. What a spectacular display of Autumn through your artful lens! I used to receive photos from a friend in New Hampshire. So, these photos are most welcomed and nice. Especially the horses, with their energy! :)

joeh said...

You have a great eye!

yaya said...

Beautiful colors! All the pics were fabulous. The bales of hay reminded me of my in-law's farm. The round bales would be lined up on the edge of the field and my boys and I would jump from bale to bale! So fun! Thanks for the memory!

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

This photo adventure was wonderfilled. I adore autumn and you capture so many lovely scenes. I particularly like the narrowing road.....there's a story in there somewhere, I can just feel it. xoxo Oma Linda

stephen Hayes said...

Stunning photographs. Autumn is that time of year when the landscape painter gets to use every color in his tool box.

Rick Watson said...

It's been much too long since I've visited here Hilary. Beautiful post.

photowannabe said...

Stupendous
Glorious
Breathtaking
The trees,
The barns
The horses
The color
Oh My!

Anonymous said...

Delicious autumn colours!

Pierre BOYER said...

Great fall series and words....

Pierre

Linda said...

Delightful photos, and I love the horses!

Bob Bushell said...

Beautiful autumnal images you have shown to us. Warsaw must be fantastic.

ADRIAN said...

This is wonderful. I wish we had those fences. They really are very photogenic.

Andy said...

As always Hilary you photos are superb and interesting. Great job in capturing the feeling of autumn.

Out on the prairie said...

Lovely choices, I really liked the horses. The split rail fence is interesting also. You are seeing more color than here.

Anvilcloud said...

There's nothing like an autumn drive into the country, with or without camera ... but with is better.

Theresa said...

What a lovely fall drive. Reminds me of New England more than Oregon and that is always a good thing. I miss the north east.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

so many gorgeous shots

Kerri Farley said...

WOW WOW WOW ..... LOVE LOVE LOVE :)

ellen abbott said...

some gorgeous photos here Hilary. I particularly like the one of the three trees together.

Barb said...

Your photos show a glorious autumn, Hilary. I love all the orange in those trees. I am accustomed to a more golden fall - I like seeing the various colors that autumn brings to Ontario. Those country lanes look inviting!

Leah J. Utas said...

Thank you so much for that beautiful trip it the country.

Linda said...

Such gorgeous scenery on your road trip.

Daryl said...

awesome photos all .. this is likely to be the only fall foliage this city gal will see .. so many thanks!

EG CameraGirl said...

The trees were stunning. I especially liked the photo of the dirt road so I'm glad you went down it even though you had to back up. ;))

Country Girl said...

Spectacular. Each and every one ~

xo

Kathleen's Blog said...

Now that's what you could call a real Fall drive---beautiful photos---every one!

Rita said...

I've always said that you really do have the eye!! These are all a magnificent tribute to autumn. Love the tree that has ever color of fall leaves on it. The horses--beauties! What a wonderful fall day you captured. :)

William Kendall said...

Beautiful countryside... and gorgeous colours. I've been out in that area once.

Suldog said...

As always, lovely. Your photos of autumn make my soul ache in a lovely way. I was also pleased to see a quote from one of my favorite writers, Jim Bishop!

Gayle said...

OH by far THE gift of October! What a spectacular trek and to think you took us along with you. Such a gift you are to this world, Hilary. How blessed we all are to know you! I will go back and look and look and read again. Love the quotes. You are the best. {{{}}}

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

So many beauties here, Hilary. You've captured the glory of fall. Special favorites are the barn against the cloudy sky with the fence in the foreground, the narrowing lane that you had to back out of, and the beautifully bare trees.

Kerry said...

Splendid! Tractor traffic is the best way to make everybody slow down. I just love those horses.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way to spend a day. These are so beautiful! Autumn is being shy here this year, and I didn't even see much of it in Illinois this past weekend, so I appreciate you sharing your day with us!

Dan said...

Such a scenic road trip brought to life by your talents.

Spectacular!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Awesome shots- fall is truly arrived in your world...still waiting for more drama here!

Jenn Jilks said...

Glorious trip you had. It's good to have friends like this.
This time of year is so amazing.
You seem positive.
The photos are uplifting, and I'm sure your trip was, too!

"This road kept getting narrower and narrower "
I've done this!!! Or end up with water over the road and you have to turn around!!!!

TexWisGirl said...

gorgeous farm country, no doubt beautiful in any season, but especially so with the autumn colors.

Indrani said...

Mesmerizing views. Autumn is so colorful!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

As your neighbor in upstate Ny we have had the colors too, sadly replaced now with grey and snow!

Shammickite said...

Aren't we lucky to live here!!!!

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Gorgeous. I can't think of a better word. Maybe Peaceful. A very peaceful perusal of the colors of fall. Thanks for taking me along.