Sunday, October 25, 2015

A Kind of Enchantment

Study lends a kind of enchantment to all our surroundings. ~ Honore de Balzac

It's time for another wander through my area. Come on along, willya?

boy and his dad
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~ Unknown
I saw these three on the sidewalk just outside my building. Dad, kidlet and pooch enjoying a warm autumn day.





river side
Always find a time to sit on a humid autumn bench to feed the poor birds or to think the dying leaves! ~ Mehmet Murat ildan
Let's head south to the river. It's called the Otonabee and it's part of the Trent-Severn Waterway. It started off in the north end of the town of Lakefield and from this point, it flows through Peterborough into nearby Little Lake and on to Rice Lake. This bench makes for a peaceful place to sit and think.





washing the dog
Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~ Franklin P. Jones
It was the perfect day and place to give a dog a bath.





sidewalk dog
When patterns are broken, new worlds emerge. ~ Tuli Kupferberg
Speaking of dogs, I saw this one when I looked down at the uneven sidewalk.





sidewalk bunny
Imagination is the eye of the soul. ~ Joseph Joubert
And not too far away, a bunny. Gotta love pareidollia. Does anyone else see these two critters?



 

wheelbarrow and black eyed susans
Some of us are like wheelbarrows - only useful when pushed, and very easily upset. ~ Jack Herbert
Before we continue along, this is a bit of a throwback image - taken where I lived previously. The wheelbarrow is leaning up against the shed.





community library
The library is inhabited by spirits that come out of the pages at night. ~ Isabel Allende
Moving along, this mini library is on a street in front of a house near my place. The sign says "Borrow a book or magazine or CD. Return it later or bring another in exchange - or not." I love this idea. I've stopped by a couple of times now - twice to "borrow" a book and on one of those occasions I've also added to the collection. On this particular visit, I noticed that the books in the back were in a messy jumble, so I straightened them up, added a book and left with Texico. I've not read it yet. Kim Zippel is a ward councillor for Peterborough.





punkin head
You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts it will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely. ~ Roald Dahl
Folks were getting started at decorating for Halloween.





Canadian curious george pumkin
A grandmother pretends she doesn't know who you are on Halloween. ~ Erma Bombeck
A matching set on one lawn. I think this was supposed to be Curious George.





wild chicory2
Blue thou art, intensely blue; Flower, whence came thy dazzling hue ~ James Montgomery
I have always had a soft spot for wild chicory. I'm glad to see it growing rather profusely around here.





tiny orange flower2
The flowers were the color of sunset. And not the yellowish tinge of a lazy sun either, but the intense orange of a sun refusing to set on anyone else's terms. ~ Dolen Perkins-Valdez
A similar sort of flower - only in orange. I think it's Orange Hawkweed.





Ice cream Evan2
While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats. ~ Mark Twain
And speaking of orange, this little ginger-locked, ice cream-loving cutie is my neighbour. This photo was snapped last month after the Pride Parade.





about town2
A girl phoned me and said, "Come on over. There's nobody home." I went over. Nobody was home! ~ Rodney Dangerfield
Another welcoming neighbourhood porch.





Sunrise Baptiste - heron
Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you.
Because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. ~ Roald Dahl
And one last throwback to the last place. Sunrise spilling out onto the lake while a heron lands on a floating dock.

Thanks for joining me.

53 comments:

Red said...

I always like your walks. You've found some really neat things . Yes, I see the dog and bunny figures in the sidewalk.

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, dear Hilary! Once again I thoroughly enjoyed taking a stroll around your picturesque town and reading the selected quotes. As a boy I engaged in cloud pareidolia. It took a moment but I was able to trace the outline of the dog and rabbit you saw in the pavement. The mini street library is a wonderful idea and enhances community spirit.

Thank you, dear friend Hilary, and have a wonderful week!

Anonymous said...

Nice to have a look at your post. The color of your post attracts me more. All
the pictures looks good and the way you have explained them is also nice. The image in the uneven surface looks beautiful...

Unknown said...

Of course, all of these images are nice. We have a mini-library where I work out at the gym with magazines-only. You've captured October beautifully, Hilary! :)

Andy said...

Excellent variety of photos Hilary. Yes I do see the critters. You blog postings remind me of another blog I follow... Walking Woman

Gary's third pottery blog said...

You have a lovely town :) I have found of those little libraries near my house in Ithaca and try to walk past them with a fistfull of books to exchange every week!

Theresa said...

Another lovely stroll. I got a chuckle out of dog and rabbit. Have you seen the Harvey and Rabbit short video on you tube?
If you haven't here is a link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20UhjXpFX_c

Out on the prairie said...

The new town looks really nice. I like having lots of waterways to explore.

Anvilcloud said...

Yes, I see your pareidolia although I might not have seen the first without a pointer. Nice tour. The next one could be blustery. :)

Linda said...

I love the idea of the little free libraries, sadly none around here. I've tried convincing a couple of friends in town to set one up but they just seem to think they will be vandalized ... which could be right.
Enjoyed your walk around town.

DJan said...

I surely enjoyed walking with you and enjoying your pictures, as always. I think I will not soon forget the Halloween pumpkins with perfect quotes, and that red hair! Oh my! :-)

Shammickite said...

The little boy in the first pic is very lucky to have his own red Mini-Cooper S to drive. I'm green with envy. Wish I had one!
The dog and the bunny just jump off the sidewalk to me, and I bet that water was cold for bathing the real dog. There's a sidewalk library on a street near me, I'll have to go there with my camera before the snow flies.

joeh said...

At first I thought you almost stepped in something a dog left behind, but yes, definitely a dog. I saw the rabbit as a dog also.

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

You always find the most interesting things in the mundane. Yes of course I saw the dog and rabbit. When I'm brushing my hair I see faces in the flowered towels I have in my bathroom. Funny thing, I can only see them reflected in the mirror not when facing towards them.
Your neighbor is adorable. Freckles are just the cutest.
Thanks for your very skilled eye and fabulous photos. Have a very Happy Halloweek. xoxo Oma Linda

ellen abbott said...

funny how our brains want to make sense of nonsense. love the pic of the boy. you take the most awesome portraits of children.

William Kendall said...

The view of the river is my favourite.

Tabor said...

All of them are wonderful. I particularly like the wheelbarrow photo, though.

Phyllis E said...

Wonderful images, as always, Cuzzie. You just keep on getting better and better.

I actually see two dogs in that patch of concrete - one facing left and the other facing right. Does anyone else see it?

Bob Bushell said...

Beautiful images Hilary, I love the little lad eating his ice cream, yum yum, I know what he's saying.

Leah J. Utas said...

The bunny was obvious, but I don't know if I'd have seen the dog without your help. Thanks.

Beautiful pics, and so very peaceful.

Rita said...

Yes, I saw the dog and bunny's heads right off before I read it. I would love to sit on that bench by the huge hanging branch. Lovely area. Pretty wildflowers, too. Have a wonderful week. :)

Ruth Hiebert said...

Beautiful and interesting photos. The redhead with his ice-cream cone made me smile.

J Graham said...

As usual, I loved these! You're so skilled at finding the magic in everyday scenes we'd so easily overlook without your careful framing.

thanks for the lovely walk!

TexWisGirl said...

i always enjoy wandering with you. :) love the blooms. that hawkweed is what we'd call devil's paintbrush. i saw the animals in your cement, but your bunny looks like a dog running with glee to me. :)

Karen said...

I see what looks like a spaniel jumping with joy. Looks like my old friend Sue bathing the dog in the river!
I've always loved that river, and the canal. My family has a long LONG association with that waterway. One greatgrandfather helped build it, and the greatgrandfather on the other side of the family sailed a boat on it from Rice Lake to Youngs Point.

Barb said...

I always like spending time with you and seeing what you've captured through your lens, Hilary. At first I didn't see the bunny - I saw a squirrel jumping on a rock. Your new environment looks like an interesting place to explore. Love the red head (like my Grandson, Jack).

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

I like the way the tree arches out over that bench. I did see your critters, but I would have missed the "dog" entirely if you hadn't mentioned it. Your two pictures from the old place are both beautiful. Great timing to get that heron coming in for a landing. The coloring in that one made me wonder...did you ever get to see the Northern Lights while you were there? It would have been neat to capture them reflecting in the lake.

stephen Hayes said...

I always enjoy your pictures but I particularly like the kid eating that ice cream cone.

Joanna Jenkins said...

Thanks, I needed that lovely dose of Fall and Halloween... So beautiful and my favorite time of the year-- although we don't get it in Los Angeles.

And your neighbor-- What a sweetie!

More please,
xo jj

photowannabe said...

Thanks for inviting me to go on your walk with you.
I think one of my favorite sights was the darling ginger-locked boy and his ice cream. Oh those freckles...
Love all the photos.
Have a great week Hilary.

Kathleen's Blog said...

Wow---every photo so different but equally beautiful. I especially enjoyed your little neighbor enjoying his ice cream!!

Daryl said...

i saw the dog immediately but i think thats because the photo preceding it is a dog .. i saw the bunny w/o a bunny in the previous photo .............

Rick Watson said...

I love those Jack-o-lanterns. As always, your picture are great!
R

Mage said...

I am so glad to see you. I've been floating on an island in the pacific, but was overjoyed to see a note from you at Tabor's. Flat out lovely stuff. Birds and flowers and kids. What more could one want.

Midlife Roadtripper said...

My favorites? The dog bath, the wheelbarrow, and the lending library. I've often thought of putting out a box like that. Would be most fun to what is taken and what is left.

All beautiful -- and I see that rabbit and the dog. Thinking I need to look down more when I'm walking.

Marie Smith said...

I love the definition in your photos. They are almost three dimensional. The colours are vibrant. Beautiful work.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful glimpses of your world!

Kerri Farley said...

Beautiful captures! I hope you are doing well!!

Linda said...

Wonderful and sweet images!

Indrani said...

Great images from your walk!
That phone call episode is scary.

EG CameraGirl said...

I'm impressed that Peterborough councillor has erected the little lending library! She would likely get my vote if I lived there. I see a turtle and a rabbit (or maybe a dog on the uneven sidewalk..

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Enjoyed your walk-about this morning. Love that cute basket on the neighbor's porch..I may steal that idea! Cute fella with the ice cream. Have a splendid day!

Anita said...

I've missed your grand photos, Hilary! And what a time I manage to get here for a visit... you've dazzled me with several!

Yes, I see the dog and the bunny. I don't know that I would have had your vision though were I the one walking along the sidewalk.

In this bunch, the red-haired boy eating the ice cream is my favorite. The strands of his hair, the freckles, the ice cream... so much detail!

Maggie May said...

As you know I love your photos.
The dog and rabbit shapes show up clearly to me.
Love the boy eating an ice cream.

We also do that with books. Sometimes we have disused old English telephone booths that are used for second hand books but in the city, we have dozens of charity shops packed full of them and we also put out things on our garden walls for people to take!
I'm a great believer in recycling.
Maggie x

yaya said...

Yep, I saw the dog and bunny! Your area is really pretty and I think the icecream cutie is truly the "All American boy"...I know, I know, he's Canadian, but that's what we call red headed, freckled, kiddos down here! The lake in your previous home was beautiful but you've managed to showcase your new town beautifully also. There is beauty is the everyday isn't there? You've proved it here. Have a great weekend!

Becca said...

The ice cream looks perfect for a midnight snack right now LOL Great pics!

Csobla said...

Szépek a képek.

Betty Manousos said...

fantastic portrait of your neighbor!
great shots as usual.

big hugs!

Wendy said...

That ginger haired little boy with his ice cream stole the show! What a great shot! And the heron, wow - that one blows me away!!

Seems like you've settled into a nice place, Hilary. I did not see the dog but the bunny popped right out at me!
Gentle hugs,

Kat said...

Wow. I know I've said it before but you have such an eye. Such a talent for finding beauty everywhere and making us all see the beauty through your photos. Just amazing.
Fantastic captures!

L. D. said...

This is such a wonderful collection. You are still as creative as ever finding wonderful compositions and things of interest.

Jenn Jilks said...

Wonderful photos, but that little red-head!!!!

Linda said...

Great pics, Hilary. I love the critters in the sidewalk, and that front porch looks very inviting. Such a quaint town you've landed in.