Friday, October 31, 2014

A Trip Into Town

Aside from french fries (chips), I'm not overly fond of deep fried foods. But Frank is. And so is his son, Francis who was visiting us in September. I do like fish though and a fair compromise was a meal of deep fried halibut and fries, served at the local fish and chips restaurant. Frank had been there a few times before and said that theirs were the closest he's had to authentic fare since he'd been to England several decades ago. And that their fries were top notch. So we left home with that destination in mind.

The town of Bancroft is just a few minutes from home - about twenty -give or take a few - depending on who's driving.

from driveway
This was the view of our dock, boat and surroundings as seen from the driveway on our way out.





by the dump
It takes about ten minutes to get out to the highway which is coming up shortly after that turn. This is the view that greets us after dropping some trash off at the dump. Just keep in mind that this was in September and all of those colours are now bare branches.





south on 62
Once on the highway, the scenery kind of goes out of its way to greet us. It's not very difficult to get used to seeing this each day.





overlooking beautiful bancroft5
Just before arriving at our destination, we decided to take a quick detour up to Eagle's Nest, to the lookout over town. The fish and chips place is just a little farther along that road - the same one we took to get here.





soaring over bancroft2
A soaring bird keeps watch over the town of Bancroft.





rock face in town2
Up there, is pretty much where we were in the previous photo - maybe just a minute or so up the road from there - but close enough.





for the halibut
Here's where we were headed - For the Halibut.





for the halibut2
I wandered around snapping a couple of photos. I have no idea why I opted for this odd-looking character and vacuum instead of actually photographing the fish and chips on our plates. It's unfortunate that I forgot because despite not caring all that much for this sort of meal, I found it quite tasty. At least the guy is in keeping with Hallowe'en.





for the halibut kitchen2
While paying our bill, we could easily see the fryers just behind the counter. I wasn't busy stuffing my face at that time, so I did think to get a photo of it. I liked the way the light fell - I thought it would make an interesting picture but that might well just be me.





autumn across the bay2
We were back home in time to sit outside and enjoy the late-day sunlight across the bay.

More photos coming up soon. Happy Hallowe'en, everyone!

50 comments:

joeh said...

love that dock.

ADRIAN said...

Now you have me fancying fish and chips.
I like the fryer image. I would drop the exposure a bit more to bring out just the highlights. Make it really low key.

What Karen Sees said...

Oh, I would love to visit your 'neck of the woods.' Such beautiful and interesting scenery to enjoy, and you capture it so well!

Cloudia said...

What fabulous country, well photographed.

Reminds me of my beloved northern New England back in the day.


Loverly, Hil


ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^= . <3

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed your meal. The foliage is lovely!

Unknown said...

I have stayed away from fried foods, but understand Frank's palate for delicious meals that involve frying. These photos really celebrate Autumn beautifully, Hilary, and of course: Happy Halloween!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

MY GOODNESS it is easy to see why you live there :)

Anvilcloud said...

I am not blogging these day but I am pleased to have thought to check in right now. I have often wondered about that fishy place, and now I know that it's good.

Andy said...

It's another fine day for looking at your blog. As usual I enjoyed every photo.

DJan said...

Thanks for taking me along to the town for fish and chips. I enjoyed the adventure very much. Your pictures are, as always, fabulous. Such colors! :-)

Hilary said...

Have to agree with Frank, it's hard to beat fish and chips in England......and no, I would not think you could ever tire of those views.

Betsy Brock said...

fish and chips....yum! We don't eat fried food often, but we do love it!

Brian Miller said...

mmm its to early in the morning for me to be craving fish n chips....just saying...i will go to town anytime you want...ha

TexWisGirl said...

i like fries and i like fried cod. but down in texas, when they do fish fries, 99% of the time it is catfish. (yuck to me, but lots of folks love it.)

Linette said...

�� Happy Halloween my friend and what beautiful photos, just breathtaking.

�� Oh I love Halibut, fish and chips is my favorite meal I could probably live off it. ♥

ellen abbott said...

Beautiful place where you live Hilary. Too bad it's under a blanket of snow most the time! It's still very green around here.

Tabor said...

Happy Spook Day...just finished an online class on Fish and Chips!!

Maggie May said...

Not very far from us, is the second best fish & chip bar in the whole of the south west! We get them every week. Yummy....... delicious. We don't have lovely views when we buy them. Pretty urban in an ordinary street.

Yours look fairly authentic though!
Maggie x

Nuts in May

messymimi said...

Have a happy haunting day! The place you live is certainly beautiful in the autumn!

William Kendall said...

The fish and chips version is pretty much the only way I'll eat fish, battered like that.

Beautiful shots! It's been awhile since I was in Bancroft, but it's such a lovely area, and the view from that outlook is stunning!

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I love the third and fourth shot!!!

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

You suppose fall's color is a reward for the cold you're soon going to have to endure?

(Probably isn't a unique question.)

Loved your photos

Mage said...

That's an excellent shot into the kitchen. A keeper. What beautiful views. Magical.

stephen Hayes said...

You can't beat good fish and chips with just the right amount of malt vinegar sprinkled over. My mouth is watering.

Shammickite said...

ooooo I've been in that Bancroft fish'n'chip shop, or as we weird English people call it, the "chippy".
Funny that you are posting about fish'n'chips this time, as I'm doing the same thing!!!! Check it out! But mine is in Newfoundland.

Ruby said...

You live in a very beautiful place Hilary. Loved your shots. And the light on the plates is interesting. I liked it!!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Beautiful pictures. I like the one of the deep fryers,the light looks great.

Betty Manousos said...

happy halloween, sweet friend!
oh hilary, your place looks heavenly!

yum...oh my, i'm just craving for some fish and chips right now!

xoxo

Jenn Jilks said...

It looks glorious, Hilary. Just as I remembered it! Bancroft is a delightful town.
Beautiful photos.

Red said...

That was a very colorful and tasty trip into town!

Bob Bushell said...

Oh yes, the fish and chip shop, lovely. The scenery is wonderful Hilary.

Indrani said...

Wonderful scenery all around.
The kids here enjoyed Halloween. :)

Chicken said...

Happy Halloween, Smitten. You have such a great eye. I think I would have passed over the kitchen photo, but your comment mentioned the way the light fell, so I took a closer look and I think I saw what you saw. The light from the lamp between the fries and the oil-everything seems a little softer around the light and then it falls on the stack of white plates...Iiked it too. Thank you for helping me see it.

Gail Dixon said...

Your drive to the highway is gorgeous! I think my jaw would be dropped open the whole time. We eat mostly fried catfish down here, usually topped with crawfish etouffee.

sage said...

You live in a beautiful place!

yaya said...

Such beautiful scenery...it may be gone now but your pics captured the scene and bring it back to life! I think I can smell those delish fish and chips...maybe it's the photo of the kitchen that's tricking me! Hope your Halloween was fun!

Rob-bear said...

Ah, Bancroft! Can't say I distinctly remember, because it was such a long time ago. Back in that day, Bancroft was pretty much on the edge of the world. Like Minden, and Haliburton, and the like. So long since I've been back for a good visit. Sigh! The non-joy of being from the east but living in the west.

Blessings and Bear hugs!

Rick Watson said...

I absolutely love the color this time of year and you capture it well.
R

Daryl said...

the fry shot is super ... and i love your 'hood ..

Jenn Jilks said...

I'm back again. I so miss Central Ontario. Your photos make me feel I'm home.

Suldog said...

You can always tell the best fish and chips places because they have a Three Stooges poster!

Lovely scenery. Very reminiscent of northern New Hampshire, about two hours from us.

Kamana said...

not a fan of chips/fries, but i do like battered fish.

Linda said...

Beautiful fall photos, and I love the sign above the restaurant. Just reading about that dinner made me hungry. I never get tired of seafood.

Sharon Wagner said...

It sure is pretty in your neck of the woods!

A Cuban In London said...

Wait, I'm just trying to get my breath back! :-) That was incredible. The views, wow, speechless. Thanks.

Greetings from London.

Kat said...

Beautiful pictures! Oh, to live in such beauty. It reminds me of our cabin in northern WI. It looks very similar.
And I do like the light in that kitchen shot. Something very comforting about that pic.

Mandy said...

It's so beautiful in your neck of the woods! I'd definitely like to live somewhere like that eventually but must satisfy myself with vacations for now.

I agree with you - I really like the light in that fryer photo.

Pepper Medley said...

I never tire if autumn views. We had the same colors on mountains in our area as well... in fact some of them are still holding onto their colors, although winds, rain and colder weather are starting to take their toll. xox

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous place you live in, Hilary! We're just now in that stage of autumn, where leaves are turning gold with flecks of orange.I'm thinking the fish and chips must have been pretty good for you to forget to take any photos for awhile! I do love the light in that kitchen shot.

photowannabe said...

Such stunning country you live in Hilary.
Beautiful color.