Friday, March 3, 2017

So You Walk

How can you explain that you need to know that the trees are still there, and the hills and the sky? Anyone knows they are. How can you say it is time your pulse responded to another rhythm, the rhythm of the day and the season instead of the hour and the minute?
No, you cannot explain. So you walk. ~ Author Unknown

The following photos were taken during various walks throughout December and January. I hope you enjoy the stroll.

daybreak
Daybreak brought some rich colour to the morning sky as seen from my apartment window. The vertical line is just a reflection from inside.





toward the lock - O rivers
My feet first brought me down to the Otonabee River where the sunlight sparkled on the water.





toward the lock - O river2
There's a vague promise of spring in the daylight.





lock 19
The view facing north from the lock.

lock 19 rushing water2
And a bit of an idea of how quickly that water is rushing.





turbulant waters
Not someplace I'd fancy losing hold of my camera.





toward the locks
Heading back along the riverbank, let's make our way through town and to Little Lake.





parking
This sign in front of a driveway amused me.





Wintry Little Lake
You can see some open water in the distance but much of the lake was frozen over and snowed upon.





winter docks
The empty docks await the return of boaters in late spring or early summer. That's when the city comes alive again.





batman delivers
Did you know that Batman is alive and well, and living in Peterborough?





Crescent street view
Late in the afternoon, clouds roll in. A small break in their puffiness allows the sun to shine her golden charm upon the lake and shoreline - enhanced somewhat with Photoshop.

More photos coming up before too much longer.

30 comments:

William Kendall said...

Beautiful shots- the rush of the water especially.

Susan Kane said...

Parking for Icelanders only! Great photos!

stephen Hayes said...

I wasn't able to spend time outside today so your picture stroll was most welcomed.

Out on the prairie said...

Winter is sneaking away here, I may not need a very heavy coat tomorrow.

Marie Smith said...

Such a beautiful walk, Hilary. Great photos!

Karen said...

Batman in the barber shop?

Ruth Hiebert said...

That was a refreshing walk. Great scenes along the way. I enjoy taking these virtual walks with you.

Anvilcloud said...

Batman is alive and well and lives everywhere. :)

Barbara said...

Beautiful!

Theresa said...

A nice respite from my own wintery mix. Such a handsome town, and well, complete with a super hero!

Gayle said...

Just plain fine to trek with you. Love the details in the photos. I will be coming back again and again.

Jenn Jilks said...

These are, as always, such striking photos.
I enjoyed your walkies!

Cloudia said...

What a lovely place you share with us - inside and out!

messymimi said...

The cold winter sun over the water is beautiful!

ellen abbott said...

snow and ice and cold. brrrr

Kaye Waller said...

I love your views of life in Peterborough. Glad you didn't drop your camera!

Kat said...

Lovely photos! Cold, but lovely. :)
I adore water shots.

Rita said...

Batman is a bit older and now drives a van, I guess. Nice to know he's doing well, though. LOL!
Lovely walk, my friend. :)

Lady Fi said...

Wonderful walk with snow sparkles!

DJan said...

So lovely! And I laughed at the Icelandic sign and the Batmobile. :-)

WordsPoeticallyWorth said...

I enjoyed the journey! Nice shots. Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

Unknown said...

Love these! Especially the last one, don't know why that one just blew me away. I don't have the photographic mindset or vocabulary to describe it. Maybe it's simply composition and lighting? But the image strikes some complex psychological chord, one that feels familiar yet fresh. THanks!

photowannabe said...

I do love the changing seasons. The shot of the docks anticipating the boats coming is one of my favorites.

Daryl said...

the ground maybe iced/snowed over but the strong blue of the sky hints at warmth

Mage said...

just loverly.

sage said...

sunny winter days are nice for a walk!

ashok said...

wow! lovely clicks!

Shammickite said...

I'm having trouble seeing these photos, but I can see your written words, don't know why, so I'll try again later!!

A Cuban In London said...

Gorgeous! :-)

Greetings from London.

Suldog said...

I don't get around to your place as often - or in as timely a manner - as I once did. That's a shame on me. Your stuff still beguiles, no matter the subject. Here's something I don't believe I've ever asked you - How many shots do you take in order to come up with a column's worth? I'm sure it must vary, so I'm just asking for the general ratio.