Sunday, August 14, 2016

Look-alikes

These images are from different days and were actually leftovers after I had sorted and made mini collections out of the rest of the photos for blog posts.

But when it came down to arranging this group, I began to see a pattern emerging. I saw similarities between images so that I could pair them up with with totally unrelated partners. Have a look and see what I mean.

on the fence5
There's an elementary school just up the road from where I live. Toward the end of June, shortly before classes were done for the year, I noticed that the kids had begun decorating the chain link fence with colourful yarn. Each weekday their designs grew, as they probably spent their recess and after school time adding to their creations. This colourful, diagonal stripe was similar to something I saw just a few days later...






colourful guy
This flamboyant guy had just finished dancing up a storm at one of the local outdoor musical performances at the waterside Holiday Inn. He danced, had a quick rest, grabbed his colourful suitcase and moved along.





on fence
Back to school, and a macro look at some more yarn art...





graffiti
And back to town where you can see that art does indeed imitate life. These horizontal stripes are on a passing, graffiti-covered train car.





on the fence
These two sections of decorated fence suddenly struck me as a couple of sleeping children, cuddled up next to one another - but only because I was seeing it next to...





Arthur Shilling12
This beautiful creation is by Ontario artist Arthur Schilling (1941-1986). His amazing art was on display at the Art Gallery of Peterborough earlier this year. Taken from the exhibit information card:

"Schilling reveals the beauty and richness of Indigenous peoples. Bold strokes of deep red, yellow, purple and ochre, defined with black and white connect complex backgrounds to figurative forms. The beautifully drawn lines of his faces and figures reveal the gentleness of his approach. These elements point to a unique artist who was guided by the strength of his vision. It was Schilling's skill and confidence that invested his paintings with life and power." 

 If you ever get a chance to see his work, I highly recommend it. In fact, I think fellow-blogger Shammickite from Rook's Nest  would likely agree. She made the trip to Peterborough to see that exhibit a few weeks back and after she did, we spent the rest of the afternoon together. She's a lot of fun and I enjoyed our time together immensely. I hope you'll return soon, Shammie!





on the fence2
One more yarn creation...





rose ave little library
And its accompanying image of slanted books on the shelves of the third Little Library that I have come upon in the neighbourhood while out walking.





on the fence bonnet
One other thing that I found adorning the chain link fence was this lost baby bonnet. Someone must have found it and hung it there in hopes that it would be seen and reunited with its rightful owner. The soft peachy-pink tones and gentle folds reminded me of...





in the pink
This lovely glassware on display at the art gallery.

Thanks for indulging me in what I thought were look-alikes. Yes, I know that some, if not all of them were something of a stretch. But I'm easily amused. I hope you were, too.

More photos coming up eventually.

37 comments:

Linda said...

Color! Yes! Don't you love it!

Out on the prairie said...

a colorful collection of what has caught your eye.

Marie Smith said...

Love this post. The coloured yarn at the school is very creative. I wonder what the lesson was? It could have taken so many directions. It is intriquing! Thank you for sharing.

Theresa said...

The elementary school version of yarn bombing. Wonder if any of those yarns ended up in nests? A delightful post.

messymimi said...

You matched the images quite well and made me see patterns where i might not have before. Thank you!

DJan said...

Every single one made me smile, and again wonder at the creative mind you possess. I love them all, but that last picture is filled with the gentlest hues of my favorite color! :-)

joeh said...

You do have a good eye!

ellen abbott said...

very clever there Hilary.

Barbara said...

I see them! But I'm not sure I would have been able to connect them until you put them together. You have a wonderful eye for color and patterns!

Karen said...

Beautiful collection Hilary.

Red said...

A teacher had a great brain wave to get kids to make designs on a chain link fence. the school near me decorated their fence with ceramics. Now you give me a good idea to go out and photograph the student ceramics.

Shammickite said...

oh yesssss! this is a great post!
I recognise those pink glass vases at the gallery shop, I think I took a similar pic!
And yes, thanks for the mention! I loved the exhibition of Arthur Shilling's art work at the Peterborough Gallery. The colour, the movement, the interpretation, all really impressed me. The colours of the yarns on the fence are so bright. I have a new tree in my front yard, I was thinking of making a colourful sweater for it when the cold weather comes.... still hobbling a bit right now so I'm comcentrating on getting mobile first.
The flamboyant chappie with the stripey outfit is really noticeable.... wonder who he is and what his story is, cos there' bound to be a good story behind this! And what does he carry in his leopard print shopping cart? Hmmmm.....

Ruth Hiebert said...

I enjoyed all the color and variety in this post.

Kaye Waller said...

Oh, the glassware! :)

stephen Hayes said...

Love the textures and multi-colored theme of this post. Hope you're having a terrific summer.

Rita said...

Wow! Really do kind of all flow into each other.
I can't even read what is on that train car--LOL! :)

Tabor said...

What a fun post. I would love to see the world through your eyes!

William Kendall said...

Schilling's style feels familiar.

L. D. said...

You have always been so good about pulling out great images from sometimes just everyday things. I needed to see the colors right now to cheer me up a bit. I think in design and color when I live life and can't imagine others who don't.

TexWisGirl said...

i like your similar finds.

Anvilcloud said...

You have marvellous eyes, my dear.

Ruby said...

The glassware is amazing!!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Lovely glassware AND dish, indeed :)

Kat said...

You have such an amazing eye. You never cease to impress me with your skill. <3

yaya said...

It's a colorful world out there if we just take a moment to notice! I love the school fence! A great idea to keep hands busy and creative!

Daryl said...

that was a lot of fun

Jackie said...

I've said it all along.
I will say it again.
You are an artist with that camera!
And it is no accident that you shoot such fabulous shots: you have the eye of an artist.
Love these photos.
Beyond words........

Claudya Martinez said...

Great collection. I happen to be wearing a very colorful striped shirt at the moment and this post goes quite well with it.

Quiltgal said...

Beautiful and colourful. Thanks for sharing your beautiful work.

Mage said...

I'm very amused. Thanks so much. :)

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Lovely post of color. I'm looking forward to getting out with my camera and finding what I'm seeing -- if that makes any sense. Color is always such a fun hunt.

Linda said...

I love how you found the common thread (pun intended) in these pictures. You have a really good eye for that sort of thing. Hard to choose a favorite pair, but I think it might be the books.

christopher said...

Definitely a beautiful medley.

Jenn Jilks said...

What amazing photos. I see what you mean! I so love colour!

Gayle said...

Seeing all of this color is renewing. Such a fine eye, Hilary. Always a delight to visit here.

Lady Fi said...

What wonderfully vibrant colours! A celebration of life!

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

I find it intriguing that the children decorate the fence in this way. I love those glasses in the last photo...and the accompanying bonnet.