Monday, April 25, 2016

Good Walking - and Other Stuff

One step at a time is good walking.
~   Chinese proverb


There is some white stuff falling steadily from the sky as I type this but there was a short string of especially warm spring days, last week. I got out to enjoy the weather a few times, and of course, my camera came along for the walk. I couldn't help but notice the many ways there were to get around while out there - walking, cycling, rolling, towing, flying and slithering. Here are some of those and a few more.


gull
This guy kept a wary eye on me until I got a little too close...






gull take off eh
And then he turned tail and flew off.






wheels
A little one slept in the back while the dad biked around the lake.






tracks
There's nary a train in sight but that guy at the curve in the tracks is struggling with a shopping cart.






boards
A couple of boys abandoned their skateboards because they were preoccupied with something they found to be more interesting (coming up soon).






wagon
This young cutie's chariot awaits her - whenever her little feet get tired of walking.

The next two photos were from the following day but they fit the theme well enough.



paddle and strum2
I was out by the lake enjoying a coffee with a friend when we noticed this boat being lowered into the lake. Of course, I wandered over to get a few pics.





paddle and strum
The boaters were smiling - as were we. My friend requested "Stairway to Heaven" and the guitarist quickly obliged, evoking a chuckle from all.





jogger
Back to the previous day, this woman jogged past me with a thoughtful warning. "Just a heads up - there are snakes back there."

And that brings us to what had distracted the young skateboarders from the earlier photo. I'm giving you the same heads up. If you're not fond of snakes, you can skip the rest of the photos.



ball python5
Each boy held one of a pair of harmless Ball Pythons which a man brought to the park so that they could enjoy the afternoon sunshine. There's not much more to say about this slithering set so instead, I'll offer up a few quotes to accompany them.





ball python3
Stop feeding the snake around your neck. One day it will grow strong enough to strangle you. ~ Johanna Georgsson





ball python10
The snake which cannot cast its skin has to die.
As well, the minds which are prevented from changing their opinions; they cease to be mind. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche





ball python4
He's the devil in disguise, a snake with blue eyes and he only comes out at night. ~ Carrie Underwood





ball python7
When I was 16, I worked in a pet store. And they fired me because they had three snakes in there, and one day I braided them.
~ Steven Wright





ball python2
Were you always such a snake," the child asked, "or did you grow into what you are?" ~ Dean Koontz





ball python8
A snake can change its skin but not its disposition. ~ Persian Proverb





ball python
Truth is as straight as an arrow, while a lie swivels like a snake. ~ Suzy Kassem






ball python9Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake. ~ W C Fields

Thanks for joining me on my walk while those around us jogged, flew, cycled, rowed and slithered.

46 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Great post. The snakes are fascinating. I love the spectacular blue of the water in the first two photos.

Susan Kane said...

Great eye for great photos. The red canoe and the red wagon make the photo so catching. Snakes and I do not have any sort of relationship!

Bob Bushell said...

Love that Gull, and the guitar player, and the Ball Python, wonderful.

William Kendall said...

The snake's quite a critter. I remember last summer touching a boa constrictor from a wildlife sanctuary.

TexWisGirl said...

the snakes are gorgeous!! love the red canoe, too.

joeh said...

I'd have stayed on my skateboard and stayed away from the snake.

Cloudia said...

Delightful and thoughtful as always!

Kaye Waller said...

There are so many great shots here, I hardly know where to start. I think my favorite is the one of the train station. I love all the light poles!

SK Waller

stephen Hayes said...

I'm not a fan of snakes, but they're easy to admire.

Leah J. Utas said...

A lovely walk, and what a kind fellow to take his snakes out for a walk.

Linda said...

A couple of guys fishing caught a python in the marsh in Prince Edward Couny last week. It was 9 to 10 feet long, dead when they fished it out.
Looks like a nice day to walk by the water

Theresa said...

What handsome snakes. I was looking for my little garden snakes but it is early and cold. We too had snow yesterday and today. My daffodils are not particularly happy about it nor is the Bloodgood Maple!

messymimi said...

We had ball pythons as pets when i was young, and i've always liked them. Thanks for sharing all the photos, especially those. You've brought back some lovely memories.

The Furry Gnome said...

Well that's a neat snake allright!

Red said...

I'd say somebody really likes snakes and it's not the two skateboarder. Nice job!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Great set of pictures.I personally don't care to handle the snakes,but don't mind looking at them.

photowannabe said...

Great photos...even the slithery ones...but I have to say that snakes are not my favorites.
You always find such interesting things on your walks.

ADRIAN said...

The snakes steal the show. These look in wonderful condition.
I have always liked snakes and lizards....I don't know why as they don't really interact that well with humans.

Tabor said...

What a fun visit to your neighborhood. Snakes do play an important part in our history, do they not? Those were beautiful, but I hope that they stay small.

Out on the prairie said...

Don't see what makes snakes a pet, a different type of creature comforts.Lovely selection of fun to share.

Jenn Jilks said...

They are beautiful photos, especially the snakes! We have snow today, too.
Fine weather will soon be here.
The colours in your phots are lovely!
(ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

DJan said...

I love your pictures, as usual. I am finding myself walking around looking at things differently because of your pictures, wondering how YOU would see things I'm looking at. Love the snakes, too. They are beautiful. :-)

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

Great post, Hilary. Love the guitar-playing canoeist; and your photos of the snakes are amazing.

Anvilcloud said...

What an odd choice in pets.

ellen abbott said...

they are handsome. I don't think I'd be putting a python around my neck though.

Karen said...

As a former resident, I will agree that you never know WHAT you are going to see on a walk around that town. Love the old train station. Have memories of catching a train called the "Dayliner" for a trip to Toronto.

L. D. said...

You have wonderful photos of your walk outside. I have heard of people taking their turtles to the park to let them eat grass but never have I seen someone bring their snakes to the park.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

good ole Mr. Fields.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Snakes are welcome to do their thing, far far away from me :)

Gayle said...

It is always such a gift to open my computer and see that you have posted. One of life's treats. I settle back and know I am in for a lovely time. You are the best!

Barb said...

Studying your photos of the snakes is the closest I want to get to them. I like all the action photos of people enjoying the spring weather. I hope that guy gets his cart off the tracks!

Anonymous said...

Love the intense blues int the first two shots. And what beautiful snakes!

Suldog said...

Not a great fan of snakes, but I love the W. C. Fields quote. The photo of the railway station is magnificent.

Daryl said...

and i thought the man who brings his turtle to riverside park to 'take the air' was crazy

Pauline said...

Welllll... except for the slither, I enjoyed that walk! Wish we could actually walk the same path some day!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I was enjoying your walkabout until the snakes, so I just scrolled past at breakneck speed! Love the rail shot- that one is super!

Mage said...

Goodness...and colorful too. Red boat, purple shoes, pink shirt. All of which make the photos better.

yaya said...

Glad those snakes were pets and not just out there slithering around! When you live in the North, cold part of the world, those few warm days in early Spring are truly appreciated and lived to fullest! Thanks for sharing your fun walk!

Betty Manousos said...

outstanding photos my friend! i love the shots of the snakes!

big hugs!

Kat said...

Beautiful photos. As usual. :)
Spring is such an exciting time. But frustrating. Warm and lovely one day and freezing cold, drizzly, snowy the next. At least around here. However, the weather is supposed to be looking up.

Snakes get a bad rap. I'm not a huge fan but they are useful. And this snake it lovely. Kind of pretty, actually.

Haddock said...

Wow.... what a set of pictures.
Imagine playing a box guitar in the middle of the water - so serene.
And I like that - chariot awaits her, whenever her little feet get tired of walking.

Kathleen's Blog said...

Great post, and beautiful photos. I didn't want it to end. :)

Jinksy said...

In Chinese astrology, I'm a snake...but I can't say I'm fond of the real ones, beautiful though yours are... :-)

Linda said...

I'd much rather see a guitar player than a python.

Kerry said...

You found the best snake quotes ever! And of course the pics are splendid. WC Fields cracks me up!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

That first quote (accompanying a snake picture) invokes Trump. My country is in such trouble for feeding its snake!