Friday, February 27, 2015

Snow Pareidolia and Posts of the Week

Pareidolia is a tendency to see images in inanimate objects. I tend to do that a lot. I might just be easily amused but I hope that you are as well because along with the Posts of the Week, that's what I've got for you today.

elephant
Looking out on the back deck, I noticed that Elmer the Safety Elephant had taken a snowy form and was making himself at home on our barbecue.






elephant up close
Here's a closer look. Do you see him?






huck
A few windy days later, my old blue pal, Huckleberry Hound took his place.






huck 2
Come a little bit closer, Huck.

Isn't this thrilling?

giraffe in the snow
Out on the uncleared driveway, a little giraffe, covered in a blanket of snow was taking a snooze.






chair bear
On the front patio, a great big fluffy white creature was also having a good sleep - its face smooshed into the arm of the chair.


All these strange creatures all over the place. There was no place left to look but up...


purple sky skier
And that's when I saw this purple little pixie skiing across the sky. Go home, cloud. You're drunk!






Who is winking at you
I suspect that's pretty much what Benny thought about me.




❀    ❀    ❀



And now, without further delay, here are the Posts of the Week. The icon below is yours for the taking if your blog post is named as a POTW.









PHOTOGRAPHY

A Day in Antalya
by DJan
at DJan-ity

Frost on Windows
by Tina
at East Gwillimbury CameraGirl

Our Pileated Guest
by Linda
at The View From Squirrel Ridge

Sunburst
by Fiona
at Lady Fi

Once in a Lifetime
by Scott
at Just Used Pixels


  ***
A GOOD READ

The Ugly Tattoo
by Sandi
at Holding Patterns

Our Dog Loves Shoes
by Rick
at Life 101

Ambulance Story ~ We Lost Dear John
by Eddie
at Clouds and Silvery Linings


***

YOU'LL SAY "AWWW"

It's Frozen Outside But My Heart is Melting
by YaYa
at Whispering Pines


***

INTERESTING HUMAN BEHAVIOUR

Etiquette
by Daryl
at Out and About in New York City


***
JUST PLAIN ALL AROUND GOOD

Some Heat
by Solarity
at Living With the Sun

Are We Weather Obsessed
by Linda
at Crafty Gardener

 
***

INSPIRING

Radiant Threads
by Michelle
at House of Lime

 
***

YOU'LL LEARN SOMETHING
 
The Canadian Flag Went Up Fifty Years Ago
by Red
at Hiawatha House

  
***
CREATIVE FUN (Participation Requested)

Farts
by Jim
at Suldog
***

READERS' CHOICE

Recommended by: Joeh
The Mourning Dove
by OldAFSarge
at Chant du Départ

 
***
Please drop by their blogs for a visit and leave a kind comment if you have the time. Also, please feel free to add your own choices (for any blog except this one) for a specific blog post in the comments section below, where others can see them.
 
Thank you

48 comments:

The Happy Whisk said...

That is funny. I did this with our back deck when it looked like a big snow monster hand.

Good stuff. Happy Weekend.

Kaye Waller said...

You are amazing. I love your mind.

Anonymous said...

I'm always seeing shapes and faces in inanimate objects!

And thanks for the POTW.

Anonymous said...

I love how you see the world! Forever young! Thanks for the POTW. I see I've missed a few good ones!

Pallavi said...

That is Amazing! You do have a keen eye to see the extraordinary :)

sage said...

That's a chairful of snow!

Eddie Bluelights said...

Such imagination Hilary . . I suspect more developed than Benny's . . . lol

Thank you very much for POTW ~ great honour . . . and congratulations to the others . . :)

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

ohhhh...what a lovely shot of Benny!

Happy Friday

Betsy Brock said...

I didn't see Elmer or Huckle, but that giraffe is pretty funny!

Aw, Benny...he's the best!

Leah J. Utas said...

I see things like this all the time. I love your take on it.

DJan said...

Gosh, thanks, Hilary! I loved that day in Antalya. And I suffer, if that's the word, from pareidolia, too! :-)

A Cuban In London said...

That was fun, you're right. It definitely looks like Elmer.

Greetings from London.

TexWisGirl said...

my fave was the sagging marshmallow smooshed into the chair. :)

Suldog said...

As always, a rgeat big THANK YOU for the honour (I even spelled "honor" your way!)

(I wonder how many people, reading "Participation Requested", and the title of my piece, will think... No, I don't want to know what they'll think.)

I see faces in inanimate objects all the time. Of course, I'm a psycho.

Red said...

Thanks for the post of the week. They are always a big surprise and appreciated. Now you've had fun seeing figures in the snow. You also had a lot of snow.

Bob Bushell said...

Ha ha, I'm always seeing faces in everything. Woops, am I going MADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.

Ruth Hiebert said...

I can see the things once you point them out.Cool shots.

Rita said...

LOL! I am often seeing critters and faces! This was fabulous! :)

Rick Watson said...

I could hug your neck :) Thanks Hilary.

And I too see things in pictures.

R

Linda said...

Those are some interesting snow critters hanging around your place. I see Benny is keeping his eye on you! ;)

Kerri Farley said...

That was FUN! I saw every one of them!!

messymimi said...

Such fun shapes!

photowannabe said...

I do that all the time and am frustrated when others can't see it....
I think the white creature smushed in the chair is a Beluga whale. It has such a sweet, kind face.
Adorable pixie and I did see the elephant before reading your description.
Oh, and Twiggy giraffe is priceless.

William Kendall said...

I do see some of them in these images. I got a laugh out of what you think Benny must think!

Barb said...

I've never heard of "pareidolia" - I think you're getting cabin fever, Hilary! I do love that little giraffe though. That's a lot of snow accumulated in your chair! Sweet Benny.

EG CameraGirl said...

I smiled when I recognized Elmer the Safety Elephant! Spot on, Hilary! And I also see the giraffe..

Thank you for liking my frost photos. More than a few bloggers say they are tired of winter and are no longer seeing (or are refusing to see) the beauty that's there. I admire your positive attitude!

Sandi McBride said...

thank you for the POTW award...I am so honoured to be in thia company...

OldAFSarge said...

Wonderful photos. And thank you Hilary for the POTW link. I am touched.

Brian Miller said...

omg...i love the one int eh chair...ha...you guys got a lot of snow...wow...huckleberry hound is so cool too...

Linda said...

Thank you for the POTW. And for the word pareidolia. I thought everyone had this tendency.

Midlife Roadtripper said...

I guess I've been out of the snow for too long. I look at the clouds for images, but no snow to view. However, tonight we are supposed to get snow from 4 to 6am. Might stay up to see that. ha!

Will enjoy visiting the posts of the week.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Oh Benny!

Daryl said...

i tried to see what you saw but aside from the drunk fairy .. gotta love Benny and that expression .. and many thanks for the POTW!

Maggie May said...

The little elephant could also be a headless swan or turkey!
I see these things in carpet and wallpaper designs & clouds too!
Thought I was just fanciful but now I know I;m not alone!
Maggie x

What Karen Sees said...

Oh, my I'm thinking you need spring to hurry up and find it's way to your neck of the woods. I can't believe you have so much snow, but you are certainly making the best of it with your artistic eye.

christopher said...

I would not have seen the images without your input...but with input they look spot on.

And timely reading for continued cold nights.

yaya said...

You are such a sweetie! Thanks for honoring me with your POTW! It's awesome to be included with all the other cool posts. I'll take a fun trip to visit them! I love your pics inside the pics! I could see all of them! I have a tendency to do the same thing. Have a great weekend Hilary and thanks again!

yaya said...

You are such a sweetie! Thanks for honoring me with your POTW! It's awesome to be included with all the other cool posts. I'll take a fun trip to visit them! I love your pics inside the pics! I could see all of them! I have a tendency to do the same thing. Have a great weekend Hilary and thanks again!

psychelyn said...

I saw the giraffe at ine even before reading and the fluffy creature on your patio. I have problems seeing in dark colors. unfortunately I didn't see clearly the first 2 images.

This is fun!

Gerald (SK14) said...

you've got a lot of snow there and a great imagination

Linda said...

Great imagination. It's like looking at the clouds and seeing formations. Thanks for the POTW link, it has brought a few new visitors to my site.

Tabor said...

Great imagination. I get into days when I am creative like that...but never as good as you.

Unknown said...

I do this with clouds quite a bit, Hilary.
I LOVE the giraffe!! :-)

Bone said...

That DOES look like a little giraffe!

Please tell me you spoke to all these creatures, too :)

L. D. said...

You have a lot of snow piled up in the yard. Great shots. I really like the dog.

Unknown said...

Benny has such personality! Always up for an adventure!!

Jenn Jilks said...

You have a terrific imagination.
I saw a dragon hanging its head.
This was a fun post!

Indrani said...

Good observation! :)
I could relate to the giraffe instantly!