Saturday, September 27, 2014

Intoxicated With Colour


Right now, autumn has come out in full force colour-wise. We're enjoying a week of very mild August-like weather but the trees think it's October. I'll have some autumn images for you before too long (they're still in my camera), but in the meantime, I hope you enjoy some of the many photos I still have from summer. It may be winter by the time I get around to red leaves.

We were always intoxicated with color, with words that speak of color, and with the sun that makes colors live. 
~ Andre Derain

back lit fuschia2There are no lines in nature, only areas of colour, one against another.
~ Edouard Manet
Our hanging basket of fuchsia, brilliantly backlit by the sun. It was recently killed off by an overnight frost.





Handsome jay
The purest and most thoughtful minds are those which love colour the most.
~ John Ruskin
A handsome jay dressed in the finest of blues.





table bouquetThe objects in front of you are flowers, but the subject is color.
~ Michele Cooper
The beautiful centerpiece on our table at Frank's niece's wedding, in August.





neighbouring docks
Colours are brighter when the mind is open.
~ Adriana Alarcon
You can tell it's summer when every neighbour has at least two different boats tied to their docks.





chipper and watermelon
Colours are nature gone wild.
~ Raheel Farooq
One of our sweet little chipmunk friends enjoying some watermelon.





sunflower
Color possesses me. I don't have to pursue it. It will possess me always, I know it. That is the meaning of this happy hour: 
Color and I are one.
~ Paul Klee
An unexpected sunflower which grew in a pot outside our kitchen door. We didn't plant it there. It must have been the wind or a thoughtful squirrel.





seadoo kidlets
And all the colors I am inside have not been invented yet.
~ Shel Silverstein
Kidlets from a cottage rental up the road enjoying their time on the water.





pretty bug
Colours are life.
~ Chuma Nwokolo
This little moth was wandering the wall in our stairway, one evening. All I knew about him was that he was pretty colourful. After taking a few macro images of him, I scooped him up and transferred him outside where he belonged. Through the powers of Google, I have since discovered that he is a Painted Lichen Moth.





seating for six
Colour stops me in the street, invites me to breathe it in and take it with me.
~ Suzanne Partridge
A grouping of painted chairs and their shimmering reflection in the water. You'll find these right next door at my neighbour's lawn.





orange moon3
Colour is the soul of Nature and of the entire cosmos.
~ Rudolf Steiner
The blood orange perigee/supermoon in a twilight blue sky.

Thanks for allowing me to blend colours with you. More photos coming up soon.

53 comments:

ADRIAN said...

Keep them coming another varied and beautiful set.

sage said...

I know that as I begin to watch trees change color on blogs like yours there will be tinge of sadness in my heart now that I am living where there is little color, but I'll have to share the colors of the spring azaleas and camellias :)

June said...

A photographer after my own heart, with these beautiful colors! Colors, bright colors, all flung together . . . make me feel so happy!

Jenn Jilks said...

Lovely colours. I often think we could post photos a season behind to remember!

DJan said...

Fabulous photos, as always. I love them all. Thanks for making my morning so much brighter. :-)

Brian Miller said...

ha. what a cool moment you captured of the munk enjoying a little summer treat...that made me smile....

ellen abbott said...

some gorgeous images there Hilary. hard to say which one I like best.

joeh said...

Great photos...you have a teriffic eye!

TexWisGirl said...

so much to love! the gorgeous moth, the boats and reflections, the chippy and his snack, the beautiful jay (eating all your paint off your house)... :)

Ruth Hiebert said...

Beautiful images. Have a great weekend and keep that camera busy. :)

L. D. said...

Your sense of design is so great as it makes your photos very good to see. Summer has gone by too fast but you did have some beautiful things to see.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous bouquet. Now I want one!! xox

P.S. My blog has gone private so please email me should you want to be added. xox

Gail Dixon said...

When I saw the title I knew we were in for a treat! Intoxicated with nature is the best! So many beautiful images...the sunflower, the chipmunk, the bluejay...all are spectacular!

stephen Hayes said...

Your post is a wonderful paean to color. Thanks to you I feel like I've been standing at the end of a rainbow.

messymimi said...

Your summer colours are lovely. Sometimes down here, the heat is enough that it makes the colours more harsh.

Karen said...

Lovely summer memories, gorgeous shots. Love that chipmunk!

Bob Bushell said...

Pretty pictures Hilary, excellent images.

Red said...

You captured some very vivid colors from a wide variety of objects. I really like the quotes.

Betsy Brock said...

Gorgeous...hard to pick a favorite here! Probably that fushia!

We're just starting to get a little color here...in a couple of weeks it will be brilliant!

Lisa Gordon said...

What beautiful photographs these are, Hilary!
I especially love the little chipmunk with his watermelon.
So sweet.

Vagabonde said...

Superb photos! A symphony of colors – bright, vibrant, soft, loud – like a soft violin to a drum!

Barb said...

Thank goodness those chipmunks and squirrels are giving back by planting some flowers! I love the colorful chairs and their reflections.

waldlaeufer68 Frank Scholtyssek said...

the moon is wonderful
greetings frank

Unknown said...

What a splash of color! The boats at the dock, the chairs and the Chipmunk with summertime watermelon. These are precious images! I spoke to some guys visiting Arizona from Winnipeg last night. They considered our 90 degree day awful. I told them that to us, it signaled the beginning of fall after 113 degree days!!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

luscious :)

A Cuban In London said...

What a terrific combination! Here the temperature in London is still mild but autumn hasn't exploded yet. Maybe in a month. Beautiful pictures as usual.

Greetings from London.

Rita said...

Just lovely!! I especially enjoy seeing your little chipmunk friend coming by for visits, but loved everything. :)

Kerri Farley said...

Beautiful series!

Kerri Farley said...

Beautiful series!

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

Those are all gorgeous shots...I couldn't pick a fav...but I did like that sunflower

yaya said...

Each photo was breathtaking! I love, love, love, the last one...fabulous!

Linda said...

Gorgeous series of captures!

Pauline said...

Such splendid color! Playing catch-up yet again - loved the post about Benny!

Anonymous said...

So many gorgeous shots! Thank you.

Daryl said...

awesome all .. my fav? the little Chip or is it Dale?

Tammie Lee said...

such beautiful images and wonderful captures of your world. such a sweet moon photo!

Sharon Wagner said...

The chipmunk eating the watermelon is my favorite!

photowannabe said...

Your explosion and impressions of color just fill my soul.
The reflections are amazing and I'm in love with the cheeky little chipmunk and his watermelon.

Glo said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely! I'm intoxicated with the beauty of your photos!

Along These Lines ... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Along These Lines ... said...

Your page background color sets up the fall feeling nicely

Stewart M said...

Nice post - in contrast we are diving into our spring colours here (although the rain beating on the window would suggest otherwise!)

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Mandy said...

What gorgeous summery photos. I'm not quite ready to embrace autumn yet so these were much appreciated.

Suldog said...

Lovely, as always. We're having a bit of earlier-than-usual autumn color here, too. We had a stretch of very cool days and nights a couple of weeks ago and I suspect that set the trees clocks ahead.

Wendy said...

Nice photos Hilary. You live in a lovely spot!
I'll probably get around to summer flowers in winter as well. It's more fun to be out and about than sorting thru photos (that's fun too, but on a rainy day - LOL)

Like your chipmunk, so bold to be eating your picnic. Don't you find the jays are so active at this time of year? I don't know why. They are here all summer and even in winter, but for some reason, we see them much more in early fall. And robins too! I don't remember if I usually see them in fall, but this year, it almost looks like spring!!!

Enjoy the warm weather while it lasts.

Kamana said...

so much wonderful colour.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Hilary, the pairing of your exquisite photographs and chosen quotes are a blessing to me. The variety of subjects and colors somehow soothed my weary soul this morning. Thank you for that.
And I *love* that first quote!

Tabor said...

What a peaceful photographic romp!

Out on the prairie said...

Very nice! You hit the poem on the right note. Deep!

Jenn Jilks said...

I love Shel Silverstein. I used him teaching all the time!
I love how you parse out your photos.
I've not been well, and have been posting like mad. Hubby likes to see where we've been, too! It's not the only way for me to let him see our photos, but the easiest.

Mage said...

Wonderful stuff here. No jays near us only crows and a red tailed hawk always at war.

Indrani said...

Amazing collection of colorful subjects. Loved seeing them all. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, these are all wonderful!! We've been pretty drab around here for awhile, but the autumn wildflowers are popping up, thank goodness!