Sunday, May 4, 2014

Silent, Peaceful Poise and Posts of the Week

One grey morning, while doing a few dishes at the sink, I glanced out the window to the hills beyond the road. Above the trees, in the charcoal sky, a couple of juvenile bald eagles were practicing their soaring skills.


baldies juv
They fly. And when they fly, oh, how they fly, so free, so graceful. They see from the sky what we never see. ~ Unknown




baldies juv2
Eagles, soaring in the clouds, fly with silent, peaceful poise. ~ William Arthur Ward




baldies juv3
The day is done,
and the darkness,
Falls from the wings of Night,
As a feather is wafted downward,
From an eagle in his flight.
~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow




baldies juv5
I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky. ~ John Denver




baldies silhouettes
Eagles fly but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines. ~ Steven Wright

We're so lucky to share space with such wonderful creatures.

❀    ❀    ❀



And now, without further delay, here are the Posts of the Week. The icon below is yours for the taking if your blog post is named as a POTW.










***

A GOOD READ

No Thinking Allowed
by Joeh
at The Cranky Old Man

When the Smell was New
by Linda
at Olde Baggs 'n Stuft Shirts

Eternal Baseball
by Cloudia
at Comfort Spiral


***

PHINE PHOTOGRAPHY

Some Sun, Some Patience, and a Lot of Luck
by Keith
at HoldingMoments

My Big Week
by Gail
at Louisiana Belle


***

JUST PLAIN ALL AROUND GOOD

Law of Mother Earth's Rights
by Cloudia (She's on a roll!)
at Comfort Spiral


B-Sides
by Kerry
at Ed and Reub

***

YOU'LL LAUGH
 

Hookers
by Stephen
at The Chubby Chatterbox


***

READERS' CHOICE

Recommended by: Joeh
And Now, the Curtain Rises... to Reveal Fanny Hugg
by Val
at Unbagging the Cats


Recommended by: Eddie
Love Story
by Betsy
at My Five Men


***

Please drop by their blogs for a visit and leave a kind comment if you have the time. Also, please feel free to add your own choices (for any blog except this one) for a specific blog post in the comments section below, where others can see them.

Thank you

44 comments:

ADRIAN said...

Good silhouettes. I can watch these for ages.

Lisa said...

How very very Beautiful. Happy May my friend.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Love the Longfellow, surprised that the John Denver didn't pop into my head before I read the line you quoted, and laughed aloud at the Steven Wright quip!
And now I look forward to visiting the POTW. Thank you, Hilary! ♥

Cloudia said...

These photos are revelatory! Showed eagles with new eyes, fresh. Just wonderful!

And TWO POTW is a true honor. How rewarding blogging and blog friends can be.

Thanks Very Much


ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral

=^..^=

Gary's third pottery blog said...

delightful :) happy spring to you!

from Madrid said...

It shows that birds have lifted the mood.

Tomás.

Jenn Jilks said...

I love your quotes and photos.
I wish I had the energy to visit all of your POTW.
I spend so much time visiting people who visit me, which is only polite, people are very kind to visit and comment!
(ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario !

Brian Miller said...

we used to have an eagle sanctuary near here...where they would go to rehab...and get healed up...it was always amazing to go watch them....

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

Beautiful eagles. The Steven Wright comment made me laugh.

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Gosh I love these photos of the eagles. HOw lucky are you to have some hanging in the neighborhood? But then I have to remember where you neighborhood actually is.
Thanks for the nod for POTW, I'm grateful as always.
Oma Linda

TexWisGirl said...

some great picks for potw! i recognized a lot of them!

Out on the prairie said...

only seeing a few here that stayed and nested. I miss having them all winter along the river.

holdingmoments said...

What a magnificent site to see. Giants of the air.

Thanks for the POTW.

Betsy Brock said...

That Eddie is a sweet one to recommend my photos! And thanks so much for posting them, Hilary!

Rosaria Williams said...

You are always the generous soul! Thanks.

ellen abbott said...

we do not get eagles down here. too hot I guess. but the hawks and the kites fill in.

messymimi said...

That last quote, coming after all the other quotes and the beautiful pictures, caused a spit take here!

Kerry said...

These are beautiful, Hilary. They make such elegant shapes and would be a splendid print on fabric.
I loved Stephen Wright's quote, perfectly timed as I was waxing all romantic over eagles!
Also thank you for the potw surprise!

Lisa Gordon said...

These are really wonderful images, Hilary.
So peaceful.

Tabor said...

I fondly remember a boat trip across the bay to a marsh preserve and stopping to eat lunch and watching two young eagles perform acrobatics for an hour in the sky just over our heads. It was such a floor (sky) show.

stephen Hayes said...

Thanks for the shout out, and for letting me take flight through your wonderful photographs. I hope you have a terrific week.

Slamdunk said...

Thanks for sharing the interesting eagle photos. They are making a come-back in our area, but seeing that from the window would have been mesmerizing.

Congrats to your POTW folks--off to visit some now.

Anonymous said...

What lovely eagle shots!

Bob Bushell said...

Superb soaring Bald Eagles, cheers Hilary.

Pat - Arkansas said...

What a treat!

Unknown said...

The freedom of flight wonderfully captured! May you soar peacefully through your days!

Daryl said...

love the silhouettes and as always great choices for POTW

Sharon Wagner said...

That's one for the weasel! I'd still rather be an eagle.

Gail Dixon said...

Your young bald eagle silhouettes are awesome. I had to laugh at the Steven Wright quote, lol. We are very lucky to share space with such amazing wildlife. And can learn from them, I think.

Thank you so much for bestowing a POTW blessing on me. I am in some fine company!! You are so kind and generous to us bloggers. Hugs!

photowannabe said...

Sometimes I wish I could just soar like those stunning eagles.
Ah, the freedom.....
And now on to the POTW selections.
Have a wonderful week Hilary.

VM Sehy Photography said...

Lovely shots. We used to have some eagles near us, but I haven't seen them in awhile. A neighbor would put out a dead deer for them to feast on because he liked to see them. I think he gave up on the idea which is too bad. I still see them flying around, but not in spots that are conducive for photo ops.

Scott Law said...

I do love to watch the birds in flight. The other day I saw a little sparrow size bird chasing and pecking at a crow several time his/her size. Must have got too close to the nest.

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Soaring eagles. Quite a site to see.

Off to visit POTW.

Crabby McSlacker said...

Very cool! The way you've shot them they almost look like drawings or prints rather that photographs. Way arty! And great links too.

Anonymous said...

We aren't blessed to have eagles in the Hollow, but we do have our fair share of vultures, and I confess I love to watch them soar! Beautiful shots you captured!

Stewart M said...

Splendid pictures, they capture a kind of motion.

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Mage said...

Wonderful stuff. As usual.

photowannabe said...

Hilary, you just QUACK me up!!!

yaya said...

We have many hawks that soar around the Pines. Last week a group of babies were learning the ropes! We do have Eagles too..but not in our yard! Thanks for sharing yours along with the wonderful quotes!

Indrani said...

Wow! Those are such fine shots. I should look up more often. :)

Kat said...

I love watching Eagles. Such majestic birds. So beautiful. :)

Wonderful silhouette pictures!

What Karen Sees said...

Very unique to see these lovely birds silhouetted against a solid gray background!

Betty Manousos said...

very inspiring and artistic!
great series!

xoxo

Mandy said...

Wow, what beautiful photos and I loved the quotes you added too. I like how you spotlight other blogposts too - nice initiative.